Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going into this post I realize from everything I have read that the Center Point scopes that come on the Benjiman riflles are not of the highest quality. A 9 x 32 came on the Benji Trail NP XL. In trying to get the gun sighted in yesterday I seem to have a problem. Started at about 30 feet. Vertical is "dead on" but off horizontal about 3 inches right. I have adjusted the horizontal through 4 settings up to 16 clicks and it has made "0" difference. The groups it is shooting are less than a 50 cent piece but just right.

I am thinking I have a scope problem.

Any thoughts here ?

What are the best alternative scopes for an Air Rifle say up through $150.00.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
My boss (and a good friend) brought me his Remington 700 that he couldn't adjust far enough to hit center. (270WSM) I held it up and could visually see that the scope and the barrel were not pointed in the same direction, close but yet too far to adjust it back in line. Something you might want to check on yours.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Both of my scopes that came with the Air Rifles died at around 300, shots. I had two Bushnells 3X10X44 not being used, so I mounted them, so far they have died yet, if you get a new scope, get one made for a springer Air Rifle, any other scope may not last.

Reactions: GaCop

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
16 clicks at 100yds would = 4" movement.
At 50yds 2" movement.
25yds 1"
So your not moving much at the distance your shooting!
This is all only if your scope is 1/4" per click..?

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
16 clicks at 100yds would = 4" movement.
At 50yds 2" movement.
25yds 1"
So your not moving much at the distance your shooting!
This is all only if your scope is 1/4" per click..?

BloodGroove4570
  • The scope is 1/4" per click... With that in the equation I have moved the line of sight maybe a little less than a 1/2".
30 clicks to move your pellet 1 inch at 30 feet.
  • I need to become more familiar and more efficient about interpreting and using MOA. Have done some reading and scanning. Guess I need to go do a little "studying" to at least know enough that the figures needed might at least pass by the "maybe this is the problem and solution" thought center.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Leupolds with parallax adjustment hang together on springers. If they do break, they fix them.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I also have a Benjamin Nitro XL that came with a Centerpoint scope. Cheap scope on a magnum piston gun, especially that piston gun, is NOT a good match.

On the other hand, the Nitros are notorious for being ultra hold sensitive. Been shooting piston air rifles for a long time and have to admit that our Nitro is a bear to tame. The Nitro is also known for needing a LOT of shooting before it settles down to shoot, consistently. Until it does, don't be surprised if it shoots just the way you describe. There are some piston guns that shoot and behave nicely, right out of the box, but a Nitro is not one of them. They need work. So, yes, could be a scope issue, but in my experience, more likely just the Nitro needing more work and you learning how to work with it. Still, sooner or later, that Nitro will eat that scope. Might as well change scopes, now, and save the Centerpoint for a milder shooting rifle.

You'll also find that going to heavy pellets will help a lot.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Scopes for air rifles are made differently than scopes for other thibgs
BUY a scope Made for air rifles
NOT doing so can void any warranty on"X" other scope you buy if it fails
MOSR air rifle scopes are to me not the best optics in the world, due to they are expected to be shot at fairly close ranges,thus they don't tend to be the best out there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts