Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm ex Australian Army. I miss the calming, stress dump feeling of going to the range with the lads, so I've been researching .22 rifles for a while. For the price the Marlin xt22 seems to be a very good rifle and I think with the right ammo the main limitation with most rifles is the operator.

I've fired a few mates .22 rifles and they've all been quite good, with their scopes I'm hitting 1-2" groups at 100m and usually can hit a golf ball at 100. So from probably $1000 rifle/scope combinations down to several hundred dollars i really couldn't see any improvement on the target, and obviously my mates had worked out good ammo for their rifles.

So long story short I've got my safety course this weekend, I find it slightly amusing as I've fired everything from anti-tank weapons to pistols in the military and now I have to do a course. Anyway can't wait to get a rifle and start doing some comps for fun.

Quick question, where the hell are the model details for the xt22 range? Tried to find what a xt22-vo is and I have zero idea. Apologies as it's probably basic but I can't find it.

Thank you to all of you for your very educational posts, I've enjoyed them immensely and look forward to reading more.

The combo I've eyeballed has a generic 3-9x40 scope and is dirt cheap, so I'll shoot a brick with that and try different ammo before changing to a better scope, maybe a little mildot or something fun. Must say I like 9x and 12x a mate shoots a 16x as he uses it to zoom into the target to check his shots, sounds fair enough to me but I'll probably get a 3-9x Nikon or tasco, cheap but reliable.

Cheers guys.

Plink.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Welcome to MO. Have fun with your new rifle. Do you boys down under have a hard time finding .22 ammo like here in the States?

Reactions: Plink plink

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to MO. Have fun with your new rifle. Do you boys down under have a hard time finding .22 ammo like here in the States?
I'm not too sure mate, do you mean you just can't find any, or no good stuff? Seems to be plenty at the LGS, just have to find what shoots nicely from my soon to be rifle...

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Plink welcome to MO from Brisbane. check out the ANZMO (Australia and New Zealand Marlin Owners) section in the 336 section. Wags is running the show here, all the more the merrier. Before you buy a new 22, check out Used Guns there are a few good looking 22s on there.

GUS

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! Finding any 22 ammo here in Texas is difficult (unless you want to pay scalper prices:() John

·
Super Moderator
16,613 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you gents, I really had no idea just how popular Marlins were til I found this forum.

Quick question that I haven't been able to get answered elsewhere... Has anyone used the Marlin factory scope? If so what did you think? A xt22 package includes the scope for a cheap price, I'm tempted! At least to leave it on for a while then upgrade.

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.