Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you clean your brass? I now use a Hornady sonic cleaner and tumble my brass. This seems to work good but I like to know your way of cleaning brass.
T:hmmmm: NY

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
These days I have taken to putting it in the sonic cleaner for a bit and then tumbling after that. The brass comes out very nice when I do that.

Reactions: 308/338

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These days I have taken to putting it in the sonic cleaner for a bit and then tumbling after that. The brass comes out very nice when I do that.
What type of sonic, tumbler do you use and solutions?

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Reactions: 308/338

·
Registered
249 Posts
@308/338,

I wet tumble with stainless steel pins. After you see the results you will never be satisfied with any other method. The last once fired brass I bought had been tumbled in corncob by the seller. Being disappointed with its dingy appearance, I immediately recleaned all of it by wet tumbling. Result was like new shine inside and out. I am spoiled now and can't live with anything less.

Marshall

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I'll second Marshall on stainless steel pins and tumbling. I used to use corn cob media and my brass was always "dusty" and had media stuck in the primer flash holes. Not so with the stainless pins and wet tumbling, the cases are clean inside and out including primer pockets.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Where do you get your stainless pins and can they be used in a regular (Lyman Turbo 1200) tumbler?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
vrkar10, here's another source...stainlesssteelmedia.com.They sell a 2lb "refresher kit" for $20 if you don't need 5lbs. That's what I got when I started. The pins come in 2 sizes, .041; & .047". You can't use a dry media tumbler for this. I went to Harbor Freight & bought a 2-drum unit for $56 & I split the media between the 2. The mix I use is purified water to just above the level of the brass in the drum; 1/4t citric acid powder & instead of Dawn DWD which didn't give me the brilliance I wanted I tried some Pro-Force Heavy Duty Degreaser, 1T, & it's $7 a gallon at Sam's Club. I got a very fine mesh wire strainer at Pier 1 to catch the pins. Rinse all the cleaning goo off & dry the brass then bag them to keep as much air away so they'll retain their brilliance. Good luck, jd45

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you think about this rotary case cleaner it come with stainless steel pin 5 LB. and no belt drive to go bad. This is a coupon worth $30. on a $150. buy,that brings the total with shipping to $189... The 5 lb. of steel media pins gos for $49. alone.
T:hmmmm: NY

1 - 12 of 12 Posts