Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Marlin 1894 SS 44 mag today hoping I would get a decent rifle for my $650.00+ Well guess again. It is a bonafied Remlin :( Look at the triggerguard plate support screw. It is freaking crossthreaded. Since I didn't spot it in the shop while picking it up I now get to deal with Remington / Marlin customer service. :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Top of receiver is scratched up like it been behind the seat of a truck, not real deep but not like a smooth new finish.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is cross threaded, the bottom of the screw head is flush, the top sticks out as shown in the pictures. Actually, the threads are all buggered up. I can actually live with all the scuffs because a little flitz will polish them out but this gun is going to need a new trigger guard plate. The sad part is I leave for a FL hog hunt this Friday.

And it really is not that scuffed up, it must be the light from the camera that makes it look that bad.

·
Registered
16,675 Posts
Hey thats funny, the new one I have is the exact same way. I took the screw out and restarted it back in, but it ended up the same way again. I figured as long as it works I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I would get a tap and die and rethread the trigger plate and the screw first.
I can't tell totally by the picture but I think you could clean this up yourself and save the hassel of shipping. Just my thoughts. these aren't high stress threads.

John

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Quality is job done. :-[ Call'em and mabe you could still take it for the hunt.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
jpickar said:
I would get a tap and die and rethread the trigger plate and the screw first.
I can't tell totally by the picture but I think you could clean this up yourself and save the hassel of shipping. Just my thoughts. these aren't high stress threads.

John
If I recall, that thread is .210-32...............A "special gun thread", so you can't just go to a h'ware store for that.

Tom

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Can't imagine how that could happen. It takes some effort to bugger a hole like that. Brownells or Midway might have a tap, but without knowing the exact thread pitch it could be a tough find.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I know it is a hassle for the buyer, but let them fix their own screw ups. It is the only way to stop having them! Good luck, Jack

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got a hold of Marlin customer service this morning. They were very nice, made no excuses and will be sending me a shipping label so I can send it to an authorized service center. It will be going to Mann and Sons in Pickneyville IL. Other than the cross threaded screw it seems like a good rifle. It will feed a magazine full of 44 specials without a hitch. The Magnum cases are a little tighter when coming up into the extractor. I can fix this by lightening the extractor spring some. I have had an issue feeding cases out of the magazine. If I load a full magazine 10 rounds of 44 mag the first case will sometimes get wedged on top of the carrier. If I put a screwdriver on the rim and push it a little it will pop out of the magazine onto the carrier. The other 9 feed just fine. With a little tweeking and some break-in, I think it will be a good rifle. I am going to the range with it today to sight it in and I will be taking it to Florida and sending it back for repair when I get back.

·
Registered
226 Posts
BobinIL said:
Well I got a hold of Marlin customer service this morning. They were very nice, made no excuses and will be sending me a shipping label so I can send it to an authorized service center.
That's a nice start. Please keep us updated on how it works out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took it to the range today and the agony continues. Tried to sight it in and at 25 yards it shoots 12" low and 6" to the right. I had to raise the rear sight all the way to the top notch to get it on the bullseye at 25 yards. I could not get it to group either due to a floating front sight. You could push it on and off with your fingers. When I got home I tried to punch the under side of the front sight to help it grip the dovetail better and the sight literally crumpled . Come to find out, the whole thing is made of brass, very soft brass at that. I guess that is why they all come with sight hoods. One tap on a hard surface and you will have a bent front sight. Looks like this gun is a no-go for the hog hunt. I will break out my redhawk and my 243. What an incredible waste of money :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
BobinIL said:
I took it to the range today and the agony continues. Tried to sight it in and at 25 yards it shoots 12" low and 6" to the right. I had to raise the rear sight all the way to the top notch to get it on the bullseye at 25 yards. I could not get it to group either due to a floating front sight. You could push it on and off with your fingers. When I got home I tried to punch the under side of the front sight to help it grip the dovetail better and the sight literally crumpled . Come to find out, the whole thing is made of brass, very soft brass at that. I guess that is why they all come with sight hoods. One tap on a hard surface and you will have a bent front sight. Looks like this gun is a no-go for the hog hunt. I will break out my redhawk and my 243. What an incredible waste of money :mad: :mad:
I know you are disappointed, who wouldn't be, but all may not be lost. The factory sights are crap, have been for a while so the first thing I would do is get a peep sight ordered from Skinner or Williams and an after market front sight. I kind of like Skinner front blades because you can get it long and file it down till it is just right. Or maybe a bead or fiber optic, but you will need to experiment with a heavy cardstock front sight to make sure you get the right height sight. Maybe I am a glass half full of it kind of guy, but you have a gun that is shooting now, stripped screw and buggered sight and all but still. You would certainly have wanted a different sight anyway, so hang in there, the Remlin misery could be ending soon! ;D

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
BobinIL
that really hurts...not laughing at all about Remlins quantity control.put a note in the box tell em all the issues with that gun and send that target to. Ask em if the sites are wrong for the gun as it shoots low.It would make me mad to have to pay for there mistakes but you probably like the upgrade. IF I WERE YOU I'D TAKE IT OUT ON THEM HOGS.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I ordered a set of ghost ring sights from Brownells for it and Choked down the overnight shipping. I will see if this helps make the target aquisition and accuracy a little better. I am a traditionalist being an avid cowboy shooter for the last 7 years but that interest is fading fast. I am now looking for a fast handling brush gun that will go well with my Ruger Redhawk. Hopefully I can get the bugs ironed out and reach a level of satisfaction that I can live with. It is unfortunate that when you pay almost $700.00 for a gun it is not ready to go out of the box.

·
Registered
711 Posts
What ghost rings did you get? If you got the XS system you'll like it, I have them on my 1894 and one of my 39A's.
If you search Brownell's you can find the threaded aperture that accepts Williams long shank twilight apertures, nice system then.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts