Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son left for boot camp today and his mom is a mess. He joined the NC National Guard and is headed to Fort Lenard Wood, Missouri. He will be gone about 20 weeks for basic and ait school.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Well . it's a double edges sword as they say.. Outstanding that he chose this path.. but also I understand the parental end..

All we can do is pray for him, your wife , and you..

Reactions: cowboy66

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GJ. Jerry

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My son left 6 weeks ago...for Parris Island, SC (USMC)...it was an adjustment.

He graduates Sept. 9 and I can't wait to see him :)

And +1 to what Gunjunkie said...

·
Registered
265 Posts
He will be fine.
What mom is going through is natural, and I'm sure that you are feeling uneasy too.
Congratulations on having a son that is serving America.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The same goes to you too, RR665!

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Your son will be fine. You have to be there for your wife. Tell her you have a friend down south that left home for boot camp at 14 and turned out just fine.
Anyways, prayers sent.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Hes took care of,Ill pray he stays as safe as he is right now.Same to you too Ridgerunner,But them sand fleas are ruff this time of year at PI.Youll be at attention and your DI will say,Ready",Ready"Ready'..Attack!! and he will give ya a few seconds too attack the fleas.Then its back to attention.Once its over they wouldnt take nothing for it.
Randy,,

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, I can't describe what I'm feeling myself right now, swelled with pride yet empty at the same time. I know he's in good hands and will come home a better man. I worked the graveyard shift last night and found out I was a bigger mess than mom :) :). Any way thanks again to my MO family. And best of luck to you and yours ridgerunner you too are in my prayers. God Bless. Jerry

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Prayers for your son,wife and you!! Tell him thank you for his service for me!!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Thanks everybody...

It is rough when the kids leave like that, even for me and I'm never home much.

My son was writing every week or so but we haven't heard from him in about 2-3 weeks...I know he doesn't have much spare time down there though. He's in the "grass week" phase now, starts "firing week" next week...free ammo and range time ;D...I know he is enjoying that.

As far as not hearing from him...I figure that means he's got his mind right and is settling in....I'd still like to know whats going on from time to time though, LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
He might be drinking water in his spare time. I'd go with the no news is good news motto. Don't forget to let me know when you come for the graduation - Steve

·
Registered
246 Posts
Prayers for your son, wife and you!!!

Though I live in Germany and obvious this is not my business, I fell with you and tell you that I also see it as my business.

You did a lot for us within WWII and after this gang of criminals where ripped of, we profited from your way of life. I'm thankful for that and know whom I owe this peaceful life over here.

As long as the USA is what it is now and was in past, the German folks also prosper.

Thank you for that and also thank your son for his service for us all!!!

Ernst

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Cowboy66 and Ridgerunner 66 when my youngest son left for basic training and it tore me up. My wife told me not to worry he would be back and it would be the same as before he left. I told her it would never be the same again. Sad to say but this was one time I was right. That was just about 20 years ago now. Over the years, we have seen him on one and two weak intervals. He has served two tours in Iraqi and is getting ready to go to Afghanistan now.

The only thing you can do is pray for them and be PROUD of the life that they have chosen to serve our country.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update, my son has called home and sounds good he's the type if things weren't going good you could tell it in his voice. He has also written a few letters, a major breaktrough. We are just so proud, words excape me. Thanks for all your prayers and support. :) :) Jerry

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Glad all is ok....

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Good for him!
I'm happy for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is tough at first. But as time goes on it will be natural to have a child in the service. My son will be in a Marine for two years this October. I was proud of him before he left and prouder of him now. Thank your son for his service from another military family. Kev.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You bet I will Kev. Thanks Jerry

1 - 20 of 42 Posts