Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I wandered into a local gunshop and on the shelf was a 1894 in .44 Magnum with the brass saddle ring and plated trigger guard. The problem was the previous owner must have never taken care of it or oiled it because it got some surface rust. The wood was good, the action smooth, and the bore excellent. The price-$150. I picked it up today and will post pictures once it is cleaned up.

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
Re: Sometimes your the ball, sometimes your the bat

Wow! Some extra fine steel wool and gun oil should get you to the actual blue. . .

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts

That's just piracy, plain and simple. I hope your minister never finds out!

·
Registered
9,496 Posts

papajohn said:
That's just piracy, plain and simple. I hope your minister never finds out!
Never mind the minister, the local cop will be after you for grand theft. :eek:

Cheers,
Mark. ;D

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

David, you sir have committed GTM!!! Good for you, get that Marlin cleaned up and teat it well. Seems to me that the previous owner should never be allowed to own firearms if they can't take better care of them. Take care, pictures and range report please, John.

·
Registered
429 Posts

Man do I need to find a deal like that. Most of the time its just the opposite for me. If you feel bad and don't want to have to go to confession, call me I'll take it off your hands & help clear your conscious (or how ever you spell that). I will say all the Are Fathers & Hail Mary's it takes to feel better and even say a few more to help you sleep at night for the robbery you pulled. :D Great find.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ok,

Here it is after some cleanup, I was able to get most of the surface rust off of the receiver but its hard with only one working arm per se. I need to fix the band screw as that is stripped but other than that it isn't bad for $150-

·
Registered
429 Posts
Very Nice.

·
Super Moderator
12,283 Posts
I love threads about good deals, thanks for sharing the pics too!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Get some stainless steel wool pot scrubber from walmart and use some mineral oil and you can get it polished down without taking any bluing off which 0000 steel wool will take off. Mineral Oil makes a great storage coating also and brings the bluing out. $1.50/bottle at the grocery store and will last a long time.
I've had guns stored for a over 2 years in gun cases and shiny like new when I got them out of storage. Regular gun oil would have evaporated off.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You came out of that deal smelling like a rose my friend!!!...hope it shoots as well as it looks...that would be the icing on the cake...I'm thinking you owe us a range report!! 8)

·
Registered
26 Posts
WOW!! That is an incredible deal, good for you. I'd have jumped on that myself in a heartbeat.

hunter6657 said:
Get some stainless steel wool pot scrubber from walmart and use some mineral oil and you can get it polished down without taking any bluing off which 0000 steel wool will take off. Mineral Oil makes a great storage coating also and brings the bluing out. $1.50/bottle at the grocery store and will last a long time.
I've had guns stored for a over 2 years in gun cases and shiny like new when I got them out of storage. Regular gun oil would have evaporated off.
Hunter6657, could you be a little more specific about the Walmart stainless pot scrubber? Do you mean those sort of round, puffy looking things, or is this more like a Brillo pad? Would love to be able to gently take off surface rust without munging up the bluing. Thanks for the tip about the mineral oil as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts