Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a phone call from my oldest son. He'd managed to stick his very cool '98 Jeep Cherokee in the muddy water, up in the hills above town. It was just before dark. Mama and I hopped in the Wrangler and headed up to help him out.

My 10,000 lb winch didn't help. It just tried to drag the Wrangler into the same mud hole! (next winch step would have been to tie off the Wrangler to one of the nearby Big Trees and give it a go again)

Broke my recovery strap when I tried to pull his Jeep out of the hole, with my Jeep. Phooey. Had that strap a long time and it always worked well.

Used his strap (thankfully he had it) and got my Jeep onto a higher traction area, and managed to tug him out! Yee haw! It was actually a lot of fun, and gave us an unexpected family project!

My son went to the local 4x4 shop today and ordered front and rear locking diffs for his Jeep... We've told him that we're going to help him buy a winch too. I bought a new recovery strap. All is well.

Guy

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Always said the first upgrade I'd do is diff lockers. Fortunately a landcruiser doesn't need any upgrades. Let the debate begin.

·
Premium Member
12,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's what I was thinking Oz. It didn't look that bad. I figured a quick winch or a quick tug with a recovery strap and we'd be on our way.

Didn't work out that way.

I think his tires (33x12.50's) were hung up in some deep ruts under the water, or the Cherokee was up against a hidden log or something in there. It just flat didn't even budge when the winch was tried.

Nor did it budge the first time or two I tried to tug it out with the strap - and broke my strap.

Finally, after repeated tries, I got his back tires up out of whatever they'd fallen into and he got some traction, then we were only seconds away from having his Jeep free. The bottom of that hole must have been pretty bad. He told me he drove through it just fine going in, and never thought he'd have a problem coming out... He did... :biggrin:

Re the Land Cruiser - no debate - that's a great rig! There have been, and continue to be, some really great 4x4 rigs produced.

He bought this Cherokee recently and it had a terrific suspension under it, really nice stuff. Works great out in the arid "high desert" east of us, but I think he just learned the value of having limited slip or locking diffs... Was pretty funny when I went to the shop today to replace my recovery strap and learned that my son had been there an hour or so ahead of me, ordering a pair of Ox Lockers... :biggrin:

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Heck, the fun of getting it un-stuck is why we take them off the road isn't it?

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Hope he's got good set of axles to go with those Ox Lockers.... lockers have a tendency to make stock axles break:hmmmm: I'd love to have an Ox Locker for the Dana 44 in the front of my old Chevy. Unfortunately they ain't cheap....

Yeah you're right... if you're gonna go through mud, ya better at least have a locker in the rear.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
. Fortunately a landcruiser doesn't need any upgrades. Let the debate begin.
They must not have any good 4x4's down under!??, you can have all the JUNK! turdletas you want!, the GF has an FJ and it has NOTHING!!! on my Jeep or IH Scout!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The FJ isn't a real cruiser. Mind you,the new V8's aren't as good as the old straight 6 diesels. They seem to be set up more for the urban 4x4 guys now. The V8 is good in sand but the overall vehicle is softer than the older ones. Too many bloody beepers and idiot warning alarms on them now. Still,I don't mind the softer ride on my V8.

·
Premium Member
12,154 Posts
Get sucked up in some gumbo clay and then it gets real fun. Thanks for the post and pics look like fun to me. Great that the wife enjoys messing around in the mud with you guys.:congrats:

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Get sucked up in some gumbo clay and then it gets real fun. Thanks for the post and pics look like fun to me. Great that the wife enjoys messing around in the mud with you guys.:congrats:
Yeah.... the red clay dirt down here in the southeast is a whole lot different when it turns into mud.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The FJ isn't a real cruiser. Mind you,the new V8's aren't as good as the old straight 6 diesels. They seem to be set up more for the urban 4x4 guys now. The V8 is good in sand but the overall vehicle is softer than the older ones. Too many bloody beepers and idiot warning alarms on them now. Still,I don't mind the softer ride on my V8.
Her's is an FJ40, it has the anemic/under powered straight six in it, the three speed trans SUCKS!, the closed knuckle front axle takes a mile to turn it around!, have NEVER! seen a diesel in one???, the Jeep and IH both have a lower "low range" gear in them, you can brag about the 9" ring gear in the FJ all day but I've seen a hundred of them with the tiny little pinion snapped off! and the "C" clip rear axles in the FJ's are crap too, at least the Dana 44's in the others have pressed on bearings!
Don't even get me started on the wussy little axles in the mini trucks!, I bet we rebuild at least two sets of those a week at work!, one of the local 4X4 shops we rebuild them for bought ALL of the ring and pinion sets the supplier had so he could have a monopoly on them!

If I had a nickle for every Chevy that's been sacrificed to upgrade a Toyota I'd be one rich man!

Reactions: LT

·
Registered
493 Posts
Always said the first upgrade I'd do is diff lockers. Fortunately a landcruiser doesn't need any upgrades. Let the debate begin.
What year do you have

Her's is an FJ40, it has the anemic/under powered straight six in it, the three speed trans SUCKS!, the closed knuckle front axle takes a mile to turn it around!, have NEVER! seen a diesel in one???, the Jeep and IH both have a lower "low range" gear in them, you can brag about the 9" ring gear in the FJ all day but I've seen a hundred of them with the tiny little pinion snapped off! and the "C" clip rear axles in the FJ's are crap too, at least the Dana 44's in the others have pressed on bearings!
Don't even get me started on the wussy little axles in the mini trucks!, I bet we rebuild at least two sets of those a week at work!, one of the local 4X4 shops we rebuild them for bought ALL of the ring and pinion sets the supplier had so he could have a monopoly on them!

If I had a nickle for every Chevy that's been sacrificed to upgrade a Toyota I'd be one rich man!
Oh I don't know ..... I would take a 1990 LC FJ-80 with a six-cylinder over just about anything stock out there, there was a version of a SOHC Diesel ..... But rare in the US (Russia still gets the most Diesels and they are less money than the gas models ) ...... Early FJ's 20,30,40's where utility vehicle's designed to be a WWII jeep type vehicle's ..... Not much abuse but would go just about anywhere on there own ....

How ever nice family outing .......... Aahhh the days of trying to get stuck ..... Maybe we will get stuck..... Let's get a little mud on the tires ....

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
G'day Sharkey. I assumed the FJs we were talking about are the new 2 door wagon with V6 petrol. No doubt the original FJs were a great 4x4. I have a '09 V8 turbo ute. Have had a few over the years and I still think the straight 6,75 model was one of the best. The newer ones are nice but are being 'softened' for urban use. Who wants airbags on a 4x4? Was a time when you just ran over things in the way,can't do that with airbags.

·
Registered
493 Posts
G'day Sharkey. I assumed the FJs we were talking about are the new 2 door wagon with V6 petrol. No doubt the original FJs were a great 4x4. I have a '09 V8 turbo ute. Have had a few over the years and I still think the straight 6,75 model was one of the best. The newer ones are nice but are being 'softened' for urban use. Who wants airbags on a 4x4? Was a time when you just ran over things in the way,can't do that with airbags.
How ya doing Mac

This is what we have now .... Note LUXURY SUV ...... at 80K US it better do more than drive me from place to place ....

Toyota Land Cruiser 2014 | Luxury SUV

Look under heritage ...... on the site provided

The 1991's are the Landie's I am talking about ...... Air bag Yes but you had to crush a panel to have them go off in the 1991 Landie ......

the 57 - 77 are the utiliy one's

I was looking at your new Landies ...... WOW What a difference .......:congrats:

Toyota LandCruiser 70 Home Australia

Love the factory rodent bar .... LOL

But you do have some Luxury in a 200 .....

:beerglass:

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
I sunk my new to me JD 410 sg backhoe way back in the woods 24 hours after purchase and it took more labor than that to get it out. I used 4x8 plywood and patience. I learned my lesson and played in the mud for 8 hours. love playing in the mud, huh some of us never grow up..............I told my wife there ain't nothing I have ever driven I have not gotten stuck somewhere

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
How ya doing Mac

This is what we have now .... Note LUXURY SUV ...... at 80K US it better do more than drive me from place to place ....

Toyota Land Cruiser 2014 | Luxury SUV

Look under heritage ...... on the site provided

The 1991's are the Landie's I am talking about ...... Air bag Yes but you had to crush a panel to have them go off in the 1991 Landie ......

the 57 - 77 are the utiliy one's

I was looking at your new Landies ...... WOW What a difference .......:congrats:

Love the factory rodent bar .... LOL

But you do have some Luxury in a 200 .....

:beerglass:
Yeah,the one you have is nice. Goes for about 120k here in Oz and is called a Sahara. They sure are luxury,and can handle just about anything. The 70s are a real work ute over here, but they do a few upgraded models for the townies that never leave the asphalt. Mine does around 30000km a year, mostly on dirt. We have 2000ac farm land and 1200 ac partly cleared with cattle.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I sunk my new to me JD 410 sg backhoe way back in the woods 24 hours after purchase and it took more labor than that to get it out. I used 4x8 plywood and patience. I learned my lesson and played in the mud for 8 hours. love playing in the mud, huh some of us never grow up..............I told my wife there ain't nothing I have ever driven I have not gotten stuck somewhere
That's an accomplishment when ya get a tractor stuck:biggrin:

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I pull them wee rice trucks out all the time with my 79 Suburban. Guess I should PM you my phone number :flute:

Reactions: LT
1 - 20 of 21 Posts