Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to anything that starts with "marlin" so you'll have to forgive me if this seems like an incredibly stupid question. Referencing the photo below, do I have something to worry about?

The rest of the bore doesn't look bad and my new baby does need a cleaning, but shame on me for not noticing this before. Of course, it could be normal given the patterning. It's literally a ring inside that narrow zone of the barrel interior, which strikes me as an incredibly isolated area for rust. If it helps, the serial is 98series (2008?).

On a side note, it looks incredibly sexy with my katana.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mogwai said:
Clean it and shoot it. Then tell us if you have problems. BTW swords are ninja. Marlin levers are not.
I will, but these guys disagree with you :)

http://www.teppojutsu.com/ said:
Teppo Jutsu refers to the "art of the rifle", a warrior art practiced in feudal Japan by the Samurai. Contrary to popular belief, the Samurai did use firearms and as with all their weapons arts, were quite the skilled "riflemen". Similar to the other weapons employed, for the Samurai this art encompassed all aspects of the rifle as a weapon: achieving accuracy, proper cleaning and maintenance, rifle and ammunition design and development, as well as using the rifle in Close Quarters Combat. This latter included such skills as weapons retention, striking with the rifle as a blunt weapon, and even the use of the bayonet (Juken Jutsu).

And I love the see-thrus myself. :-*

·
Registered
978 Posts
It's a stainless rifle, rust is possible but not likely. It's probably copper fouling and powder residue, clean it and shoot it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Looks good to me. Don't think you need to clean it unless you want to.

·
Super Moderator
13,313 Posts
The copper fouling has corroded, similar to a penny. 1 pass with a solvent soaked brush and patch and it will be gone.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
See thru users normaly get crucified around here. Don't take it to heart just funnin ya! ;D

It's your turn! :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Our name is Pat/Rick, and we've been an avid "see-through" user for years. ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Gaterskiner said:
See thru users normaly get crucified around here. Don't take it to heart just funnin ya! ;D

It's your turn! :eek:
1895Gunner said:
Yepper, it wasn't too long ago it was my turn..... ;D they'll convert ya or hound ya......
There's no need to thank us. We consider it to be a public service. ;D

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts
Pat/Rick said:
Our name is Pat/Rick, and we've been an avid "see-through" user for years. ;D ;D
Yeah, but who really wears the see-thru?................Rick, or Pat?........ ;D ;D

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Your gun is a 2002. Like Tman said the copper fowling just turned blue. Give it a cleaning and welcome to Marlin Owners! Those are some shnazzy see thrus on there! ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FYI; Hit it with some breakway, ran a few patches and got rid of the gunk easily enough just as you all suspected it would. Will proceed with live firing this weekend :)

And I like my see-thrus, neener-neener ;D
Actually, I like the fact that the scope came part of the package more than anything, but I appreciate access to the irons nonetheless.

Need a cheap butt-stock now. Much as I would like one of those hot leather ones, probably not yet ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts