Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
I hear the waiting list on those is quite steep. I'd like to be wrong, though. :-\

·
Registered
105 Posts
The rifle is $1889 and up...

·
Registered
593 Posts
They are great looking rifles but for $1900 low end, they should be. WOW, they must be benchmade.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I go to Cody Wyoming often and have been meaning to check the place out but always forget. ::)

·
Registered
593 Posts
lever addict said:
Anyone know how the .500 stacks up against the 45-70 with an 18" barrel or is that just another pistol cartridge rifle?
A 700 gr. bullet at 1200fps out of a 8.375" barrel handgun is really slinging some lead. I imagine it would be even better out of an 18.5" rifle barrel. Hornady rates its 500gr. bullet for dangerous game out to 200 yards. That is a lot of killing power.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The 500 S&W has max pressure of 60,000 psi. Thats a fair bit. I wonder about the strength of these guns and what manufacturing precautions were taken so they don't go boom after 1000 rounds?

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
A little pricey for me but they are COOL!! :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds like a pricy solution for a nonexistent problem. Just marketing in my opinion with these monster calibers and the mega expensive weapons. Sell the hype, then sell the weapons and the ammo...It's just more ways to get more cash at the expense of the shooting public. Show a new gun in some magazine and have a write up on it, and people will bust their necks trying to get the "Latest" weapon. Funny, the ..30'06 is over a century old. The .45-70 is 138 years old and both have served us well in that time.

My trusted .45-70 and such are just fine for me. I don't buy into the "Super-Dooper, shooter-scooper, railgun, scopes the size of table legs, bores the size of am M79, ultra-exotic, over priced gun of the year crap."

But then again, I'm older and set in my ways. But I can smell a hustle a mile away too! If you think I'm a cynic about this, you're right, I am.

Wade, an old Ranger from way back....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wade505 said:
Sounds like a pricy solution for a nonexistent problem. Just marketing in my opinion with these monster calibers and the mega expensive weapons. Sell the hype, then sell the weapons and the ammo...It's just more ways to get more cash at the expense of the shooting public.
Sounds like those 3K-5K .475 Turnbull rifles with $225 dies and $1.50pc brass. ::)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been trying to find balistic data at 100 & 200 yards for the 500 S&W in terms of velocity & foot pounds out of a long gun. There's lots of data on the 500 S&W from a handgun, mostly at shorter ranges, but none that I can find on a long gun. My belly tells me the 45-70 would still beat it in velocity & foot pounds, but its only a guess.

Now, if Big Horn Armory were to chamber those in 45-70, I'd have some thinkin' to do. Perhaps even get a paper route to help pay for one. ;D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love the looks of their rifle and seriously considered buying one. I was ready to drop the money on one, but I wasn't ready to wait for the then (August) delivery date of November. They still haven't shipped as far as I know, even though the last I had heard was they would ship in February. I ended up going with an 1895 STBL, and it's nice sharing the caliber with my wife shooting her 1895 SBL. Only have to set up one set of dies and pour one bullet mold.

Having said all of that, as soon as I hear they are shipping, I will be trying to find a way to procure one. ;D
I've also considered having my Marlin turned into a 50 AK to satisfy the 50 cal craving. Who knows what I'll end up doing.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
brandoninaz said:
I love the looks of their rifle and seriously considered buying one. I was ready to drop the money on one, but I wasn't ready to wait for the then (August) delivery date of November. They still haven't shipped as far as I know, even though the last I had heard was they would ship in February. I ended up going with an 1895 STBL, and it's nice sharing the caliber with my wife shooting her 1895 SBL. Only have to set up one set of dies and pour one bullet mold.

Having said all of that, as soon as I hear they are shipping, I will be trying to find a way to procure one. ;D
I've also considered having my Marlin turned into a 50 AK to satisfy the 50 cal craving. Who knows what I'll end up doing.
Cool and look at the bright side, when they start shipping them you could have your house paid off and then just have a monthly rifle payment. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
23 Posts
janott said:
Cool and look at the bright side, when they start shipping them you could have your house paid off and then just have a monthly rifle payment. ;D ;D ;D
Gee, what an optimistic way to look at the situation ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts