Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked this up off gunbroker at a local shop and didn't really notice this until I got it home, but now I am wondering just what I have here. Would Marlin have sent a rifle out like this from the factory or do I have a Frankenstein gun? I'm kinda new to the old marlins obviously, but still think I did pretty good for $300. Serial is E65xx

I'm also wondering if it has been refinished or if it is still just in this good of shape. No D&T at least.

What I think is a little fishy: The barrel band goes right through the barrel roll stamp and actually covers the second "30" in .30-30.

Possibly refinished?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Interesting. I'm gonna call a frankenstein but but could very well be wrong. Someone on here can ansawer for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Very nice rifle...excellent price. Nothing fishy going on there. Sometimes the barrel band did cover the roll stamp on the 1940's guns. Congrats and welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
City Slicker said:
Very nice rifle...excellent price. Nothing fishy going on there. Sometimes the barrel band did cover the roll stamp on the 1940's guns. Congrats and welcome.
Interesting. I am hoping it is all original! I was actually looking for one to modify a little myself, but I will obviously find another for that. I didn't think I got hurt too bad for $300 since I didn't have to pay a transfer fee or shipping, although I better not consider the fuel cost to go pick it up...

thanks for the welcome, been lurking a while and finally had a question.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think that might have been one I bid on! You beat me out. Congratulations, because it looks just fine!

·
Registered
489 Posts
City Slicker said:
Refers to this as a 1940's gun based on the start of the serial number (E=1948), likely per reference matter like that which can be seen locally at http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,67196.0.html.

Welcome & congratulations!

Peace

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The usual give away on refinished metal is the screw holes get a little elongates on the surface and sharp or well defined surfaces such as the waffle top seem to fade away some during the polishing process. I do not notice either from your pictures, so my thought is that it is a nice original piece. I agree that covered lettering by the barrel band is not unusual. Welcome, good luck, and enjoy. Jack

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
That is one very nice waffle top. I've become very fond of my own two waffle tops. They are real classics.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Welcome to the MO site from west Texas.
My 1947 Marlin has the band covering part of the identification. I think you have been lucky enough to have an original too. The blue on mine is not as deep, but has been down a lot of long roads and most of them were not paved. Yours appears to have been a closet, or safe queen, and should give you a lot of good service. For the money you got a nice one. Shenandoah

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the replies, I think the consensus is that I got a smoking deal on an original Marlin. I'm pretty proud of it and will treat it accordingly (take care of it, but shoot it and hopefully kill something with it). I'll give it to my son some day along with his great-great grandpas Win 71, his other great-great grandpas Win 94 .25-35, and his great-grandpas Savage 99 .300Sav. Man if those four rifles could talk...

glad I finally had a reason to post here, you are a bunch of great guys and I'll pop in now and then.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
What I look for, when trying to determine if a gun has been reblued, is the barrel roll marks. When the letters are stamped into the metal, that metal, that's displaced has to go someplace. On an original blued gun you can see a small rise around every letter. When a gun has been reblued, the polishing process takes this down to a "flat" surface.
Not a great photo, but I think you can see it, below the L and above and below each dash---.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I have a 47 and a 49 that has the same bbl band covering the roll stamp. Nice gun, it does look well taken care of and seems to be the original finish to me.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
whiskeyjacked said:
I just picked this up off gunbroker at a local shop and didn't really notice this until I got it home, but now I am wondering just what I have here. Would Marlin have sent a rifle out like this from the factory or do I have a Frankenstein gun? I'm kinda new to the old marlins obviously, but still think I did pretty good for $300. Serial is E65xx

I'm also wondering if it has been refinished or if it is still just in this good of shape. No D&T at least.

What I think is a little fishy: The barrel band goes right through the barrel roll stamp and actually covers the second "30" in .30-30.

Possibly refinished?

They came with the band over the stamp for awhile. I'v got a Model 36 from 1946 thats exactly the same.
Hard to tell about the finish without holding it. It certainly could be original.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice gun and welcome to the site. I recently picked up a 1950 336RC from a former coworker for $100. Mine did not have the sling swivels so I imagine the previous owner put those on.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
That's really a looker. Congratulations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts