Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have 1894's in most flavors, but not a .44 mag. This one started low but climbed up a bit. I wanted an 1894 in .44 mag whether it was a CB or not. Was not willing to pay close to a grand for a CB. I found this on GB and it's a JM and looks to be in pretty good condition as far as I can see. It may not be a pair of shoes but I am feeling better already! :marchmellow:

Marlin 1894 44 mag/spl : Lever Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

John

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Looks pretty darn good to me. Congrats!:congrats:

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's purdy. :tee: That's the first one I ever seen with birch stocks.
T-roy, I haven't done any serious woodworking for a while but now that I look at the grain is not as prominent or rich as walnut or other woods. Is that how you could tell? I assume the stocks came from the factory like that?

John

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Well I have 1894's in most flavors, but not a .44 mag. This one started low but climbed up a bit. I wanted an 1894 in .44 mag whether it was a CB or not. Was not willing to pay close to a grand for a CB. I found this on GB and it's a JM and looks to be in pretty good condition as far as I can see. It may not be a pair of shoes but I am feeling better already! :marchmellow:

Marlin 1894 44 mag/spl : Lever Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

John
Hey Doc,

Good for you!

Hope you heal up quick!

Later, Mark

·
Super Moderator
24,974 Posts
T-roy, I haven't done any serious woodworking for a while but now that I look at the grain is not as prominent or rich as walnut or other woods. Is that how you could tell? I assume the stocks came from the factory like that?

John

When looking at Birch--you can tell by the pattern of the wood grain and also the color of stain that Marlin normally used on that wood type. Still is very pretty though and they look great on your 44 Mag. Congrats!

Reactions: drjjpdc

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John, the first thing that caught my eye was the lack of a bullseye. I got to checking around after I seen yours, and found out that there actually were some 1894 44 mags that were shipped from the factory with the birch stocks. I never knew that until tonite. I'd say it was probably born that way. She looks sharp.
I am glad I picked this gun up for myself, but also for the info I get from guys like Troy & Ret_Eng. Plus even Troy learned something too. That is why I love MO's!

John

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
That's a nice looking rifle you got there, John. You may want to keep an eye on The Sportsman Center on Rt. 130, I got one of my 1894's there.

Jack

·
Premium Member
11,750 Posts
Nothing wrong with Birch stocks. It may not be as fancy of grain but is a good wood and will be here after we are long gone.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nice buy John. :congrats:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Congrats on a fine rifle!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there John -- Nifty rifle. Marlin used to supply a lot of the big box stores with rifles wearing birch stocks. Big 5 comes to mind. The metal is just as any other Marlin, only the stocks were a different flavor. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a nice looking rifle you got there, John. You may want to keep an eye on The Sportsman Center on Rt. 130, I got one of my 1894's there.

Jack
Jack,

I am 6'5 and over 300 lbs and walk with a cane. the guys know me on sight including the hunting and fishing dept.! :)

John

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nothing wrong with Birch stocks. It may not be as fancy of grain but is a good wood and will be here after we are long gone.
Golphin,

Wow,
I love that truck! :driver:

John

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Congrats on the new family member. Sure looks good to me. Take care, John.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts