Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend and customer had been wanting a hunters/bugout axe. He had been planning to make one for himself but since I was forging yesterday... Well there was this piece of 4140 forklift tine just laying there begging to be made into this.

Head is 5" long, Bit is 3" Length 11"
weight 22oz.

Blade is parkerized. Handle is black canvas micarta, left rough sanded for grip. Pins have been peened and domed. Nice little package if I do say so myself.

·
Banned
457 Posts
nice work !!!!

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Nice work Chuck! Real craftsmanship there. Now...ain't it going to be hard to pick things with that fork truck with only one Tine:questionmark::hmmmm::ahhhhh::shot:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Nice pack axe!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea that truck has a bit of a lean,:driver:

Another friend had access to the scrap bin at a forklift MFG, He brought over a bunch of heavy scrap stock.

It started life as a 4" chunk of this..

Thanks all for the comments

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That is a sweet little hatchet!!! Nice work

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Hey Smith,

That is a right handy "hand ax"!

Should be very useful.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
708 Posts
That's right handy looking! I like it!

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
That looks like ya might've done one or two before hand. Very nice! Do you use oil or water for quenching that final temper? If that's your own little trade secret that's fine and no offense taken at a non answer. It looks like it has a usefull hammer on it as well. How wide is it?

Man oh man, that's sure fine looking!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually I did not do any prior. This one just came together with minimal problems. I quenched in used motor oil as I was after a tougher material. But as I mentioned before, it holds up as well as any axe I have used. Even against mild steel. It dulled but did not chip or flaten. Temper was low 300 for 2 hours x 2. The hammer face was about 5/8" wide. Now I need to make a few more esp one for myself.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
That's awesome!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts