Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cerberus Capital Management buys companies it feels are undervalued and tries to turn them around. It is their goal to increase the value of their investment. Cerberus is not the least bit happy that the value of their investment is being lowered by these on-going quality issues.

Initially, I wrote letters to Marlin and the Freedom Group which included all the details of what was wrong with my 1895. I included pictures, serial number, model number, and all my contact information. I didn’t get so much as an email form letter in response.

I called Marlin Customer Service. One rep told me it took 4 days to log the guns into the system after they arrived. A second rep told me it took 4-7 days. They both agreed it took an average of 2.5 weeks to repair and ship the guns back out once they were logged into the tracking system.

When I wrote to the CEO of Cerberus, I could not believe the response I got! My letter was respectful and listed all the defects. I included links to MO to illustrate my quality issues were not unique in the least and the problems had been going on for two years. Within a few days of mailing my letter, I got a call from Remington's Chief Marketing Officer, Mark Hill. My gun was turned around in 5 days from its arrival and it was Fedex'd overnight to my dealer. I also got follow up calls from Marlin making sure the gun was working and I was satisfied.

I also got a call from the General Council of the Freedom Group. We had a nice chat and he did not sound the least bit happy about what he discovered. Sounded to me like someone was going to get a talking to…
Frankly, if the big kahuna’s don’t know what is going on, they really cannot fix it. I humbly suggest you write Mr. Feinberg. If they get enough evidence that this is a big problem, maybe some heads will roll.

Mr. Stephen Feinberg, CEO
Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.
299 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10171

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great Post Kneezer

That is the way to get things done... go to the top.

You have started the ball rolling... now it is up to us.

I am sure Mr. Feinberg has better things to do than deal with an irate bunch of Marlin owners. So lets bug the heck out of him until heads start rolling and the problems are fixed. Some glitches are forgivable in a factory changeover. But purposely sending out rifles with loose and misaligned sights, extra dovetails, actions that jam, incorrect levers and wood that looks like it would embarrass a broomstick maker is grounds for action as far as I am concerned.

I think everyone who reads this post owes it to the gun community to send a real letter to Feinberg. Polite but firm outlining their personal experiences. I will relate the story of how I went to my local gun store to buy another Marlin rifle and walked away empty handed after being shocked at the quality of what I saw over and over again as the clerk brought out different guns.

·
Registered
99 Posts
kneezer5555 said:
Cerberus Capital Management buys companies it feels are undervalued and tries to turn them around. It is their goal to increase the value of their investment. Cerberus is not the least bit happy that the value of their investment is being lowered by these on-going quality issues.

Initially, I wrote letters to Marlin and the Freedom Group which included all the details of what was wrong with my 1895. I included pictures, serial number, model number, and all my contact information. I didn’t get so much as an email form letter in response.

I called Marlin Customer Service. One rep told me it took 4 days to log the guns into the system after they arrived. A second rep told me it took 4-7 days. They both agreed it took an average of 2.5 weeks to repair and ship the guns back out once they were logged into the tracking system.

When I wrote to the CEO of Cerberus, I could not believe the response I got! My letter was respectful and listed all the defects. I included links to MO to illustrate my quality issues were not unique in the least and the problems had been going on for two years. Within a few days of mailing my letter, I got a call from Remington's Chief Marketing Officer, Mark Hill. My gun was turned around in 5 days from its arrival and it was Fedex'd overnight to my dealer. I also got follow up calls from Marlin making sure the gun was working and I was satisfied.

I also got a call from the General Council of the Freedom Group. We had a nice chat and he did not sound the least bit happy about what he discovered. Sounded to me like someone was going to get a talking to…
Frankly, if the big kahuna’s don’t know what is going on, they really cannot fix it. I humbly suggest you write Mr. Feinberg. If they get enough evidence that this is a big problem, maybe some heads will roll.

Mr. Stephen Feinberg, CEO
Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.
299 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10171
He's got a bunch of people running is operation who don't know much about guns or what it takes to make them or how to make them correctly. Till he gets rid of them, it will just be taking care of who cries the loudest. The guns will never change.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks for posting this new contact info for us, I for one will put it to immediate use.
I'm glad that you felt a positive note from your communications, but in reality management knows exactly what is going on. Having been involved with four separate company take overs, I can tell you first hand that every aspect of putting the product on the street is scrutinized and customer complaints get the highest priority.
But thanks to your actions we now have another avenue to address and if it's done in a positive manner perhaps things will change.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am glad that things seems to be working out for you.....however, I do not hold my breath for any long term action in quality....why.....

You have a bunch newbies building marlins, who replaced mastercraftsmen, who had been building Marlins for decades......its that simple....it will be years, before they could even come close to the quality of the old plant. Did guns for NH get past QC from time to time....you bet, but the percentage are/where so much lower then what is going on now......and I am told, that you could actually talk to the fellas who have been building marlins for a very, very long time.

"......under valued.......turn them around....." I find that humorus. My understand was, that the orginal Marlin company bought by Freedom group/Remi....or who ever....was actually in the Black!

I had no problem with Marlin be moved for the right reason a( a friendlier gun state...like here in Montana or Arizona or where ever and help the employees to see the benefits of moving west....But to just cut loose the employees without so much of thank you, severence package, follow through with the promises and commitments of those employees, when Remi took over....was nothing more than Kiss my.......!

The sqweaky wheel gets oiled first.....than after awhile, everything will go back as before.....'get those guns out the door....'cause we do not care what it looks like.......there will always be fools to buy them.

Lonerider

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well done, Kneezer 5555!

The idea that Cerebus WANTS its enterprises to turn out crap really doesn't make much sense. They couldn't have become what they are if that were the case. They don't buy "undervalued" companies with the idea of further reducing their value. Ain't no money in that.

What I keep hoping for is that they'll get some management over their gunmaking business that thinks like Ron Coburn over at Savage Arms does. I can well remember a time when the Savage Model 11O wasn't a serious competitor to the M-700 Remington, in spite of its advanced design and clever engineering. The build quality just wasn't there in the Savage, but it was in the Remington. Coburn basically cut the product line down to one thing he felt they could build well if they tried -the Model 110- and made building them the right way one of the cornerstones of his business plan. That, along with some clever marketing that touted the advantages of things like the floating bolt head and external barrel nut, and caring enough about the consumer to offer a useable trigger that is still "lawyer proof" all helped the cause. Now, Savage rifles are held in higher regard by the general shooting public than they once were.

Remington and Marlin can get back to building quaity products. But Cerebus is going to have the fix the managment problem preventing this from happening.

T-C

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't doubt that Mr. Feinberg expects the companies under the Cerebrus umbrella to turn out quality while maintaining profitability. I don't think the tippy-top of the totem pole is where the problem is.

My wife used to work for one of the largest homebuilding companies in the nation as a junior-level exec. Upper management would set a goal of building homes under, say, $100.00 a square foot. A certain mid-level manager would say "No problem, we can do it for $80.00," and then place that demand on subordinates, pressure subcontractors into meeting this goal, etc, without first figuring out a clear method or outline of turning that goal into a reality. He was very much the sort of fella who made it clear that he wanted the big boss's job and would do anything to get it -that included telling lies to those above him. What he should have done was explained to his upper management why the current per-unit cost was where it was at in his view and identified some areas where savings could realistically be realized without devaluing the end product. But that isn't what he did. He didn't really know all that much about construction to begin with and didn't think it necessary to learn anything about it. He was basically a bullshiter. It finally caught up with him when consumer complaints kept rolling in and he ran fresh out of other people to point the finger of blame at. He bullshitted his way to the same position at a competitor and the company my wife worked for replaced him with a guy who wanted to build the best product in the most profitable manner.

It's speculation on my part and nothing more, but I wouldn't be surprised if something similar is going on within Freedom Group -managers at a certain level whose sacs haven't dropped far enough to tell their boses, "sorry, but no, we can't reduce the per unit cost any farther without destroying quality and thus the value of our brands."

T-C

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I posted that address in the 1894 forum for a Marlin owner who had his 1894 returned to him without a bolt.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Kneezer, I think you should write another letter and post it on this board. Then any MarlinOwners who have not had a problem with their guns (like me) can copy it and mail a letter to Cerberus. More people would write if all they had to do was copy a letter, sign their own name, and mail it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Boilerplate, mass produced copied letters just dilute the value of the real letters from real people, with real problems.

I get the impression that even just here on this forum there are enough people with real problems that if they write real letters to this guy, it will cause him to sit up and take notice.

But hopefully those who do write to this guy will remember to keep it polite, rational and fact-filled. Angry ranting is not going to accomplish anything.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
woodrat said:
But hopefully those who do write to this guy will remember to keep it polite, rational and fact-filled. Angry ranting is not going to accomplish anything.
I suggested mass-produced letters so as to prevent people ranting.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a phone number for Cerberus, just the address. The gun was an 1895 SBL.

I suppose I could post a letter template, but you would have to change just about everything except the address. I have to admit I was so ticked off by being ignored that I wanted to rant, but I also know ranting at people you want to help you never really gets you where you wnat to go.

I really suggest you just explain what is wrong, include pictures if you can. Most word processors will let you embed digial pictures right into the document, but photo prints with arrows drawn on with a Sharpy marker are just as good. I also cut/pasted links to similar problems described by others here on MO, but if you don't know how to do that, just print out some of the other examples from MO. Keep it short and to the point. No one want to read a book (and I hereby apologize for the length of this post and my original one ;D).

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
kneezer5555
Thanks for the info.
I will send Mr. Stephen Feinberg a letter.
Even though I don't have a Marlin made in NY.
But I did have an issue with my 2009 338MX that was fixed by NH. CT. service shop. I have now a NH. CT made 336XLR-35R. NIB that seems to be okay.

TO NY

1 - 15 of 15 Posts