Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed the Charlie Da Tuna GTX-III trigger on the the Benji Trail NP XL and had some trials but got it done.

When I finished last night I just laid the gun aside for trial today. I have been warned no dry firing so I had resigned myself to trying the trigger today.

After lunch I got 5 pellets out and grabbed the gun. Reached up to give it the "Break Tap" and the barrel folded up completely with absolutely no resistance. Uh Oh. First thought is I did something terribly terribly wrong. So after I jacked my jaw back in place and mentally iced my bruised ego I gathered the needed tools and paraphernalia to try and diagnose and remedy the problem.

I had no idea what I was looking for. So off came the stock and I began to examine the gun. After a once over I decided the "thing a ma jig" had come out of the "dumma flotchey". To confirm this I did a quick disassmeble of the Benji Titan I had just gotten. This exam confirmed my "thingy dumma" suspicions.

Off to the computer to find out the proper names for the "thingy" and the "dumma". Proper description for what was amiss was the LEVER ASSEMBLY had come out of the COMPRESSION TUBE. How this happened I will never know. How the lever came out of that little hole was beyond me.

After several trials and attempts to get the lever reinserted into the tube I came to the conclusion the Bear Trap Lever was going to have to be taken loose to have any chance of getting the rifle back in working order.

So I dove in not having any idea what I was getting myself into. I am definitely not even close to getting to be a total beginner in the gun smithing world. Removed the E Ring from the pin holding the Bear Trap Lever and removed the Safety Spring so I could remove the Bear Trap Lever. I thought in doing this I could gain enough movement to slip the wide end of the Lever Assembly back in the hole it should go into in the Compression tube.

That is a no go ... so next I break the barrel and lo and behold there is enough movement to line everything up and it tilts the Lever at an angle so the end will fit and slide into the hole in the Compression Tube. Eureka !!! Success ... Ah NO. The Bear Trap lever was not attached and with the Lever in the hole the Bear Trap will not reattach to the Lever Assembly. OK, back off on the breaking of the barrel ... slide the Bear Trap Lever back on the Lever Assembly and carefully repeat breaking the barrel. Balancing the entire gun assembly with one hand, moving the barrel and trying to work the Lever Back in the hole without losing the attached Bear Trap Lever and holding my mouth in some weird contortion I got it back in the Compression tube and straightened the barrel. Eureka !!! Success ... Yes.

So now I have to replace the pin holding the Bear Trap Lever and force the E Ring back on. Done. Now another fun job. Getting that small safety spring set back in place. Several tries with several approaches finally yielded success there. Now I am done with the repair not having a definitive feeling that I have fixed the problem. Replaced the stock and "YES" the gun ***** properly and I am good to go.

OK Experts and Experienced ones, All of that to ask ... How the He _ _ did that thing come out in the first place? I never did anything while replacing the trigger that would have allowed that assembly to get out of whack as it did getting out of that hole. It seems a near impossibility given what I had to do to get it back in. Someone please tell me how it got out and if this a common thing for people who do not know what they are doing under the hood of gun.

Last but not least ... the GTX trigger is a dream .. the gun is much easier to shoot. Shorter more definitive trigger action. You don't have to wait and anticipate when the trigger might release. Even with all of the trouble getting the trigger itself installed and the problem listed above it was definitely worth it for the Trigger Improvement.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Great job! We live and learn.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great job! We live and learn.
Thanks .... There are some lessons I would rather not have to learn but force myself into by my ineptness or just plain screwing up.. Also I am trusting and gullible. I watch these YouTube videos of guys "who know what they are doing" making the mods and repairs and I think "I can do that." Wrong ... and I never learn. LOL

After my screw up here my concern was ... "OK idiot your gonna have to take or ship this thing in to get it fixed and you have just voided the warranty by changing the trigger."

My next concern and thought ... "OK you can put back the original trigger to have it in warranty if you can figure out how the little spring on the OEM trigger you removed goes back." Another adventure.

My motivation was not having to deal with either one of those scenarios and the $$$$$ because I'm cheap.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Try to get the thing back to stock condition as much as you can - their pretty good about just sending you a new gun .......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts