Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a nice 10 point whitetail late Christmass Eve(another story)anyway,when I went to peel his hide the next day I discovered the jacket of a 30 cal.boat tail bullet,no lead,stuck just under the skin of his left shoulder.There were no other wounds except my neck shot(45/70)the wound was slightly festered,I guess maby a week old.The bullet was partialy split and mishapened, must have hit a twig.Somebody had come reeeeeal close to tagging this ole boy before I got the chance.Have any of you guys ever found someone else's bad luck or bad judgement poked under the skin of your trophy?

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's interesting. I took a spike back in 1985 that had the remains of what I think was a .243 bullet. The jacket had dissolved? But the lead portion was intact but deformed some. Total weight of that projectile was around 90grs. Anyway, it had been in there a long time in the right meaty part of the shoulder.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemn: Years ago my brother in law shot a buck that had bullet wound in his rump. The wound was infected but hadn't seemed to affect the bucks movement. we had to disgard the meat around the old wound. BestLever

·
Registered
200 Posts
A friend of my father-in-law's killed a nice ten point that had a broadhead stuck in the ribs just below the spine. The deer had a nice rack, but he had been going down hill from the wound as he appeared poor. On the other hand, I killed a big gobbler near Smithville Oklahoma that had been shot through the craw with a high power rifle by a poacher, but he showed no ill effects. He weighed 20 lbs and had a 9 inch beard. The interesting part of that is his craw had seperated into two different channels, but connected where they were supposed to be and both still doing the job of helping the bird digest his food.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Three years ago I killed a small buck{ a 4 point } that only had three legs.Its right front leg was gone just below the shoulder.It had healed up and the hair had grone back.I don't know if it was shot of the year before or if it lost its leg some other way. :?

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Sounds like most of these experiences show that some people prior to you were poor hunters or did not have enough gun to do the job.

Congratulations to each of you for your shots.

djh

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Took a 6x5 buck about 5-6 years ago, and he had one stiff front leg. The right front joint had a lump the size of a tennis ball. The center of the lump had a small hole in the hide, and when I checked the joint, there was the remains of a slug in the joint.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I skinned a whitetail taken right here around the house and found a .22 rimfire bullet in the backstrap just below the spine. It was barely mushroomed and must have been fired from a fair distance away. The deer had shown no ill effects that could tell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I arrowed a deer this year, and found another arrowhead lodged in the backstraps, over the spine. The hole in the hide had scabbed over, and when I pulled the head out, a bunch on fluid drained out.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DEERDOWN444

Check your email,I sent you a pictuer of a three legged buck that's been here on the farm a while.

mp

·
Registered
89 Posts
djh said:
Sounds like most of these experiences show that some people prior to you were poor hunters or did not have enough gun to do the job.

Congratulations to each of you for your shots.

djh
Just because the bullet may have been in the wrong place doesn't mean that they were poor hunters they may have just made a bad shot. Not using enough gun maybe true or they was trying to make a rifle to do more than it was designed for and this is one reason that I don't really like a 243 or 6mm for hunting deer and I believe that a deer cartridge should be a 25 caliber or larger perferably larger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts