Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my second marlin, (first being a model 60 ;D) and I have a few questions about it. First and foremost, the dang thing did not work out of the box. You had to slam the action to get it to function, was shooting win 300gr hollow points or whatever. This is my first lever gun so I was unsure if it was "okay". Then I bought some hornady LE 325grs. No matter how hard and quick you worked the action it would hang up. Could have probably hammered on the lever with a hammer and it wouldnt move (did not try this though 8) ). Upon inspection it seemed that when the cartridge was being pushed up the feed ramp (no idea what that piece is called) thingy that lifts the cartridge into position, it would go fine until the rim started sliding under the extractor. Here it would hang up and push the cartridge semi sideways into the chamber where the "neck" of the case (right behind were the bullet stops) and it would hang up there. I inspected my fired win brass and the brass looks like crap, its all knicked up and scratched up from this. I sent the rifle back and it took like a month and a half to get it back. Upon return of the rifle first thing i did was a function test, just cycling a magazine through the rifle. It all seemed to work well. I decided to disassemble the rifle to clean it, and when I did I found out how they "fixed" my rifle. Looks like some kid took a freaking grinder to my extractor. It looks so bad. I coulda did that and not had to wait so long on it to be returned. Now when I observe what happens when working the lever, when the cartridge goes to slide under the extractor, it jumps forward infront of the extractor and when it is pushed into the chamger the extractor then snaps over it. Is this how the extractor is supposed to work??? It seems like this would not be very good for the life of the extractor.

Sorry for the long winded post.

·
Registered
605 Posts
This is a pretty common issue. I've fixed two of them myself (there are instructions on this site). I used a file rather than a grinder, but basically that is the fix. Trim a little bit of material off of the extractor so it doesn't catch the rim on the way up.

However, in my rifles the cartridge does not ride in front of the extractor, the bolt face pushes it into the chamber.

Chris.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gunlaker said:
This is a pretty common issue. I've fixed two of them myself (there are instructions on this site). I used a file rather than a grinder, but basically that is the fix. Trim a little bit of material off of the extractor so it doesn't catch the rim on the way up.

However, in my rifles the cartridge does not ride in front of the extractor, the bolt face pushes it into the chamber.

Chris.
I just disassembled it for pics. Extractor looks like crap. Tried taking pics with my phone so I could upload them in a hurry but that didnt work out. Had to use my camera and do not have time to post them as I am leaving for school in a few minutes. I will post them later tonight or in the morning. I'm wondering if I should call marlin and see if they will send me an extractor and just do the job myself the right way.

·
Banned
94 Posts
Call marlin customer service, they usually will send out a extractor at no charge especially if you tell them how it was "Fixed" There are several threads on this site about slightly bending the extractor to allow straight feeding into the chamber but I have never had to do that on my rifles. Get the new extractor and install it and keep the old one as a spare

1 - 4 of 4 Posts