Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I haven't been on here for a few months, but thought I'd drop by. :beerglass: Santa was most generous to me, so I ended up with some new family members: a Marlin 336W and a Marlin 60C.

I've always wanted a lever gun, and the 336 is my very first. After reading some horror stories online about the dreaded Remlin gremlins, I was a bit hesitant to 'pull the trigger' on one...but I figured the 336 has been around for a VERY long time- and for good reason. I must say, I've been VERY pleased with my new 336. Fit and finish are excellent, the wood is just beautiful, and the gun functions great. I've had a few issues with the gun not feeding properly, but I think it's 100% operator error instead of machine malfunction (I've never used a lever action before). It was (and still is) a real bear to load, but that's because the springs are still stiff & new; I bought some snap caps and have been messing with it quite a bit, and things are starting to wear in and smooth out.

The 60C was meant to be a functional replacement for my beloved 50 year old Nylon 66. I love to hunt, but the idea of accidentally scratching up my old girl out in the field scared me. The action on the new 60 is pretty dang rough; I really need to spend some time polishing it up so that the grittiness will ease up. Once it wears in, though, I think it'll really be a joy to shoot. I only wish that it had a couple of sling attachments, because this thing weighs a ton compared to my old 66 LOL.

I added a Centerpoint Scope to the 60c, and now it's an unstoppable demon on the range with dime sized groups. Jury's still out as to whether or not I'll add a low power scope to the 336; I like iron sights, but I'm not 18 anymore and I'm getting old fart eyeballs LOL. (Cheapie scope suggestions are most welcome.)

Anyway, here's some pics of my 2 new family members, along with some of their foster siblings. 100_0651a.jpg 100_0652.JPG 100_0654a.jpg 100_0658a.jpg 100_0665.JPG

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Very nice!! Welcome back!

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Nice, I like those Laminated stocks. Looks like wood with a heavy grain.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Very nice collection! Welcome back!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Hey!!! Another Kansan. Welcome back. Im out in Goddard. Nice collection.

A trick I do on my Rossi guns for a stiff Loading gate. Load a round but leave about 1/4 of it sticking out of the mag tube so as to compress the gate down. Leave her set till the next time you use her. Mine are not near as stiff after a couple weeks. Hey! Worked for me.

Im no scope expert but my Leopolds are fantastic. Although I seem to have way more Nikons. Always been happy with the Nikons.

Hayden.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Greetings KW,

Lemme make a suggestion on loading your 336. I assume it is a 30-30 but it doesn't matter. when you feed rounds into the tube do you push the live round till the gate closes? I push the round in the tube howver, stop short of allowing the loading gate to close. This means the rim is holding the gate open, which allows easy loading for the following round, I repeat this process till the tube is full when I then I allow the gate to close after I feed in the final round into the tube, then rack the lever to load the chamber.

I convulse when someone asks me suggest a "cheap scope". I insist on good glass. I NEVER want to sentence any animal to a slow painful death because I bought a cheap scope. Let's don't go that route. If you want a good, inexpensive scope I suggest Redfield. Not the brightest but a really good, tough optic made by Leupold in the USA. I have one on my 45/70 NEF and am quite pleased.

There are some sponsors on this site who offer some excellent prices.

Ss

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
My my my the grow em nice out there in Kansas, family sure is purdy............heres to many more:beerglass:

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Welcome back home! Those are some nice guns and great pictures too! The grittiness will ease up with use and normal wear, making it more pleasurable to use. Now you need a straight stock Texan 30-30 to go with the others!

Ron

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Love the family photo!!! Welcome back were glad to have you back!!!!

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Hey Miss Kansas,

You make a "grand" entrance. LOL

Sweet looking "stable", you have there!

Good to see you back.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Good lookin family! :congrats: