Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited this 1887 Marlin .38. I'm very busy and dont have time to start a new hobby.

The noob questions:

1) what is this worth?
2) Since it's a relic, does this require sending to a FFL dealer?
3) Can I ship directly to a collector?

WP_20160812_12_49_40_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
2,893 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
There are other states that also don't allow direct shipment also. As for values, I'd check the latest Bluebook. I haven't followed the Marlin pistols, so couldn't even give a close guesstimate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you for the welcome.

I had read that thread. The values seemed a little fantastic. Maybe it's because these are outside the requirement to ship to an FFL?

I would like to pass this to someone who appreciates the history of the gun and understands the law.

I think I am going to put it on gunbroker.com. Anyone have experience with shipping an antique directly to an individual? What's required? drop it in a box and ship? seems risky.

Edit: I found this regarding shipping antiques: http://www.nramuseum.org/gun-info-research/how-to-ship-guns-and-ammo.aspx

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
That date would be either the patent date or the date of a later model change. It is not the date of manufacture. Don't go by that date.

Date of manufacture would be determined from the serial number.

Reactions: Rich N

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Since all but the last year production were antique, you simply need to determine the serial number ranges for them. Unless your gun is a very high serial number, it should fall into the antique status.

Reactions: Rich N

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. It says 8635 on the end of the handle. So I think I read they made 15000 of these? That's a little over midway through production.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Not a too bad, and I love that old hand built leather!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts