Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the results of some of my reloading efforts all using the Hornady 160 gr FTX bullet, mixed head stamp brass, all seated to a COL 2.55" . Two powders, IMR 3031 and LeverEvolution (LE). Shooting rested and scoped at 4x. I'm fighting a lot of battles at the same time. New to rifle, even more so to rifle reloading and the whole trigger discipline thing. ShootOverall I'm pleased with the results

Lots of folks seem to like Rem Corlokt so I thought I'd try them

The upper group was the first 5 round of the day starting with a clean bore. The lower group was the last of the day to give the Corelokt a second chance. Very nice off the shelf performance.

Next up was what I expected to be my best load. Clearly an improvement, but also points out my need for a plan for "flier removal".

I have nearly a full pound of LE powder but couldn't find any notes on it except the factory LE did not group well for me.
But it looks like there is a promising sweet spot in there someplace.

Pleasantly surprised here. What's does seem consistent is this 336 is not happy at max loads of anything. I think the min/max with LE powder 32 to 35 gr. with 33 gr outperforming the 34 gr load.

One of the biggest surprises for me was the lateral stringing. Seems to me if you're shooting rested, lateral stringing has to be the fault of the shooter.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Very nice groups and very interesting information. I have been collecting 30-30 reloading components but haven't settled on a press/dies load combo. Your post has given me some good starting points.

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
Interesting data for sure.
Personally, I always felt my rifles grouped better with a barrel which was slightly fouled than freshly cleaned. ( I may even disregard the first 4 shot group of Corloks)

In regards to your groups, if you removed the possible flier's many would feel you are shooting a 1 to 1.25 patterns which is more than respectable at 100yrds.

I have no idea what your shooting rest, bags consist of, but I suspect at this point finding a method to stabilize your shots may yield better increases in your accuracy over tweaking your loads.
(based on the consistent fliers in each pic)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah loading for a new caliber is always a challenge on the where to start with components. I start with what's available locally/ on hand and work from there. I couldn't seem to get the Sierra 150gr FN to work for love or money. I don't rightly remember now how I ended up where I am but it was surely more luck than logic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're spot on with the first Corelokt group. I rest on whatever is available at the range. I was feeling pretty good with my results as scoped other targets up and down the line. Then I saw one of the big boys' targets. A 3 shot cloverleaf at the 12 o'clock position on each ring of the target. Now THAT'S special.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
You've got a lot of variables going on with a new rifle AND testing out different loads. Might be a good idea to shoot one load for a bit to get used to the new gun. Also, you've got a lot going on with your reloading.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Vertical stringing can be from heat or mirage as well as from how the gun is held each shot. Mirage can be a huge factor on cold days as it does not take much heat to make some heat waves off the barrel. Your second target could be wind related. I see a lot of potential there with most of the loads like Ditto said you may just want to get to know the rifle by shooting what gave you your best results.
You mentioned the trigger control, is it not to your liking? A good gunsmith should be able to help out there if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.
Try to change just one thing at a time otherwise you will not know what actually the problem really was.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"You mentioned the trigger control, is it not to your liking? A good gunsmith should be able to help out there if you are not comfortable doing it yourself."

Yeah the trigger is brick-like. Gotta be 6# at least. Although I'm thinking it probably seen less than 200 rounds lifetime, maybe a little better in the last 50 ish rounds or so. Somebody is gonna work on that trigger, whether it's me or a gunsmith is yet to be determined. From what I read here and elsewhere the trigger fix is pretty straight forward. But I have learned that most procedures are much easier read than performed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Wild West guns Happy trigger is a great upgrade for any Marlin lever gun...easy to install; no gunsmithing required. I have them in my 336's and 1894's.

·
Registered
927 Posts
That's the fun of reloading. The WW trigger in MOST cases will be an asset for smaller groups and building confidence. As Lucky1 stated, they're easy to install. Not sure, go to You tube.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Working up loads with different brand cases is not good for shooting tight groups this could be some of the flyers and inconsistency. Case dimensions from one brand to the other is different. Separate them into same brand and try loads with all the shots in a group from the same maker. Good luck this is the fun part of handloading enjoy. Widow

Reactions: fatmanonabike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good shooting! I am at the same place you are, trying out bullets, powders, the only thing not changing (yet) is the primers. I know I need to slow down. Make sure you use the same front rest each shot, and that means positioning it at the same point with the same restraint. I place my rest at the back of the foreend, with just a thumbs width of wood behind the rest. Easy and natural to confirm position, and closer to the receiver it should have less effect on the barrel? Then I put my index finger over the barrel to clamp it down, reducing the recoil jump. Don't know if that's right, but I'm going for consistency.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts