Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some HELP w/ an 1893
So I just came into possession of an 1893 that has been sitting in a cellar for 30 years.
There is surprisingly very little rust but the condition is understandably not good.
I am going to start cleaning it just to get it to where it wont get any worse and then put it in my humidity/temp controlled safe until i decide what to do with it.

so heres my problem, I am clueless about these guns and am not having great luck finding out info about it online. (havent spent too much time tho, just got it today). I was told it was manufactured in 1907. I'm not even sure of the caliber.

markings on it are: MARLIN SAFETY, MODEL 1893, Special Smokeless Steel, the ser # is 404xxx

I also notice something unique from other pics i've seen (not sure if thats good) but theres a notch on the left side of the receiver.

Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
910 Posts
that notch may have been for some sort of peep sight (just a guess) i like the gun, get her to shootin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive got to get her torn apart & cleaned before i attempt to shoot it.
and i still havent figured out the caliber!
any trick to that?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Was the metal painted or is that just some sort of gunk? My 94 has the caliber stamped on the top flat of the barrel just in front of the action. It is stamped lightly enough that a coat of paint would cover it up, not like the rest of the stampings. I would take some acetone and rub it in that area to see if whatever is coating the metal comes off. That looks like a nice solid rifle.
Sparky that is a nice cast, no wrinkles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Was the metal painted or is that just some sort of gunk? My 94 has the caliber stamped on the top flat of the barrel just in front of the action. It is stamped lightly enough that a coat of paint would cover it up, not like the rest of the stampings. I would take some acetone and rub it in that area to see if whatever is coating the metal comes off. That looks like a nice solid rifle.
Sparky that is a nice cast, no wrinkles.
It appears to be paint but I havent gotten a chance to try cleaning it up yet. gonna try a little today. thanks for the tip on the cal location, i'll check that this aft. this was my father-in-laws gun & he passed away 8 years ago. I believe it was his fathers before that & these guys were legit farmers. In other words: guns, trucks, cars, tractors etc are "tools" and should be treated as such. they cleaned them to keep them operational & that was it. no time was ever "wasted for appearance when that time could be spent doing something". these guys took more deer than any hunters I know and they did it wearing flannels and jeans. the 1st time I showed up to hunt with them wearing camo they laughed at me. I havent hunted since he passed... damn, I miss my hunting buddy... I have his hunting rifles (2 remington 30-06's for his grandsons/my boys & his newer browning 270WSM that he never got to take a deer or bear with before he passed) and these guns we will hunt with, but maybe i'll restore this marlin lever and display it in a proper place.
For now tho I've got to figure out what it is & if it's safe to shoot.

·
Registered
910 Posts
if its paint it may have saved it, cellar aint a good place for guns

Reactions: Steve_In

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
It appears to be paint but I havent gotten a chance to try cleaning it up yet. gonna try a little today. thanks for the tip on the cal location, i'll check that this aft. this was my father-in-laws gun & he passed away 8 years ago. I believe it was his fathers before that & these guys were legit farmers. In other words: guns, trucks, cars, tractors etc are "tools" and should be treated as such. they cleaned them to keep them operational & that was it. no time was ever "wasted for appearance when that time could be spent doing something". these guys took more deer than any hunters I know and they did it wearing flannels and jeans. the 1st time I showed up to hunt with them wearing camo they laughed at me. I havent hunted since he passed... damn, I miss my hunting buddy... I have his hunting rifles (2 remington 30-06's for his grandsons/my boys & his newer browning 270WSM that he never got to take a deer or bear with before he passed) and these guns we will hunt with, but maybe i'll restore this marlin lever and display it in a proper place.
For now tho I've got to figure out what it is & if it's safe to shoot.
Well that makes it even better. It sure looks like it has a lot of deer hunting left in it to me. Give her a good bath, have her checked out and take her hunting.

Reactions: ne4now

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Looking good! Thanks for the progress pics! John

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think you're gonna be pleased with that, once you get it all cleaned up.
Go slow, take your time, and don't go nuts with sandpaper and steelwool. Just get the gunk off it, clean the bore good, and you should have a treasure!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any tricks for getting the front wood off?
I removed the plate in front but it doesnt want to move & i dont want to force it.
I couldnt find any teardown vids that showed how to take the front portion apart.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If you've removed the forearm cap, now remove the screw at the muzzle end of the magazine tube. Remove the plug at the end of the tube. Remove the spring and follower from the tube. Now carefully work the tube and forearm loose. They're probably stuck because of the paint and accumulated gunk. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Can't wait to watch this progress!! Good luck and keep us in the loop on how you're making out!!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
My local shop has some but they're about 50 bucks for a box of 20

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Don't forget to pull down on the tube after removing the screw, before you pull it forward! There's a post it has to clear before it can slide forward for removal. Once the tube is off, the wood can be removed.

·
Registered
661 Posts
How is the cleanup going? Did the fore end come off OK? The metal to wood fit on older Marlins is excellent and it doesn't take much old oil, grease and general dirt to stick things together like glue.
Hope it all goes your way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts