Marlin Firearms Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dad gave me about half-a-dozen dies sets to help me get started. Most are RCBS dies from the 70' and 80's. One is a Herter's set for 300 H&H Magnum and not sure of the date of manufacture on those. I don't even know anyone with a rifle chambered for that cartridge but I guess I will have it if I ever need it. I am actually looking forward to cleaning all of them up and using them at some point. I really don't care how old something is if it still works like it is supposed to. In my 54 years of life on this earth I have found that, not always but a lot of the time, the older stuff has a much better build quality than similar items manufactured today. Sure, as @bassetman1974 wrote,
we must appreciate the great advancements in bushing sizing dies and competition seating dies...I love vintage stuff most, but high quality advancement gets my nod depending on application
and I agree. As long as the aforementioned advancements are implemented to enhance or improve an already well-made product as opposed to finding ways to short-cut build-quality or simply cut production costs. Far too many manufacturers continually try to cheapen production costs with total disregard to maintaining build quality. Eventually, they wind up with exactly that - a cheaply made product that no one wants to or, most importantly, will buy.

@OLSKOOL
Very nice set-up you have there, sir. I have been formulating a plan to assemble an "AO" similar to what you show there. Pictures of your set-up has given me several new ideas. My wife is NOT going to appreciate the idea seeds you have planted in my "juvenile" (as she puts it) mind especially when I tell her, "Honey, I need (another) new building!". :LOL:

·
Registered
15 Posts
@OLSKOOL
You really do have a nice set-up there, sir. I texted my wife a picture of your bench and inside of your building. She said something like mine would need a bed and a heater in it so when I slept out there with my "boolits", I could stay warm. I told her that was a good idea. Since I stay in the doghouse so much, I could just take one of the big TVs and a laptop out there so at least I would be comfortable and entertained while she was busy riding the broom. We must have lost cell signal or something about that time - I haven't heard back from her.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Old tools, particularly old precision tools are frequently of better quality than anything you can buy that is made in this day and age. Condition and completeness are pretty much everything in such purchases.
If Condition is good to excellent, and all the components are present, I would gladly buy and use such equipment.
I have numerous Starrett Gauges and micrometers that are between 50 and 100 years old. They all work perfectly, although some might complain that they are neither electronic or digital. For myself, I find those two factors irrelevant.

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
@OLSKOOL
You really do have a nice set-up there, sir. I texted my wife a picture of your bench and inside of your building. She said something like mine would need a bed and a heater in it so when I slept out there with my "boolits", I could stay warm. I told her that was a good idea. Since I stay in the doghouse so much, I could just take one of the big TVs and a laptop out there so at least I would be comfortable and entertained while she was busy riding the broom. We must have lost cell signal or something about that time - I haven't heard back from her.
LOL, well i have to say, i have the best wife on the planet! she is real good looking! sweet! and i do and
Hat Art Sun hat Painting Vintage clothing

buy anything i want to! i have to make her buy herself something. she only thinks about other people, in fact that is her in my avatar holding a colt 45 playing around with my fedora on her head. but i did get her in 1975 as she was a 17 year old kid and i trained her! her is one of the same photos i took that day, she looks a lot meaner than she is! i hope,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
i have been trusting old tools a long time. most all my dies and presses are from the 50-60 they are still on duty, and they work just fine,,,,,,,, View attachment 899697 View attachment 899698 View attachment 899699 View attachment 899700 View attachment 899701
That is a beautiful set up! I have the same stuff, just not as organized as you for lack of room. My stuff is in several too chests and carts. When, and if I can retire in a couple years I will have my own reloading room. I plan to copy your setup if you don't mind.

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
That is a beautiful set up! I have the same stuff, just not as organized as you for lack of room. My stuff is in several too chests and carts. When, and if I can retire in a couple years I will have my own reloading room. I plan to copy your setup if you don't mind.
that would be a compliment to me,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Other peoples reloading benches seem so better organazized than mine. Hm.
There are some things we seem to have in common regardless of nationality. Mine is getting better organized now that I am moving and need to go through it all.
AS to new vs old. Machining tolerances have shrunk since I have bought my first dies. Today's machine tolerances are just incredible. 10,000th of an inch are nothing to be amazed at anymore.

DEP

41 - 51 of 51 Posts