Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can give me an idea of what I have here. I bought this to convert my 1895 GS to a pistol grip, and I'm a sucker for fancy wood. It needs some work, but nothing major. Some light sanding, and will probably have to replace the cap. Is this just standard Walnut with a nice figure to it? Also, I'm not quite sure what to finish it with. Oil? Stain? The buttstock appears to have some sort of oil finish, but after sanding that will be mostly gone. Trying not to bugger this up lol.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Looks like a factory stock set, does it need to be sanded? Personally not would not touch it, as it appears grain is already sealed and nicely finished. Not a stock expert, is walnut for sure, (so many hybrids these days hard to tell which type of walnut) but it is XX extra fancy grade. These show up on standard factory marlins from time to time, have a 1894 and 444 with wood fancy factory wood. Nice find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately it Has to be sanded. It looks like it never was quite finished. It has some scratches on the bottom of the buttstock that need to come out, and the cap needs to be replaced. The forearm has no finish at all, and is just wet in the pic.I was thinking of Birchwood Casey walnut stain, and tru-oil, but I'm concerned it may hide the figure.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Beautiful piece of walnut. If it looks as good in person as in the photos, I too wouldn't do anything more than minor cleaning and oiling.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Grnjeep.

DO NOT STAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A finish of Truoil will look great, bringing out the color and protecting the wood.

Sand it out well, down to a really fine grade of sand paper, taking care not to remove excess wood around the points where the stock fits the action.

To get a good Truoil finish takes time, and the wood pores can only be filled by repeated applications of the finish and then repeatedly removing the surface finish until the pores are brought up level with the wood surface.

There are different ways by different people to do this, but I have always used 4 - 600 Wet and dry sand paper or 5000 steel wool for the between coats removal of the surface finish.

Some time during the process, make sure all internal wood surfaces are also well coated with the trueoil to help prevent moisture from entering the stock.

Truoil is not a finish that lasts forever, but it is easy to buff off and recoat..

To use a stain on that wood would only decrease the beauty that something like Truoil will bring out.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I've got a straight grip set, also for an 1895, that is made from equally fancy wood.

I was told that these were intended for high grade Marlins that never got built due to the Remington takeover. These excess inventory items were sold off

Mine is fitted with a Marlin recoil pad, so I believe it to be a factory part.

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
CDOC has it correct, just sand it to get the scratches out and I used tru oil, a light buffing with steel wool on the final coat and it will not be as shiney. I refinished my original stock in this way and took out the faux stamping, oh and added a very nice butt cuff from a9mmfan

Attachments

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Yep, and although it is not as fast, use the bottle and not the rattle can. I have seldom gotten a smooth finish with the
Truoil rattle cans. Seems like there is always some spitting or poor finish that way.

I tried to do a quick and dirty, hoping for better, with a satin spray finish in a rattle can and ended up needing to redo it this Past Spring as the finish went bad.

Was redoing a Fajen laminated stock for a 10/22 built and the satin finish left the stock with a clouding appearance. Then when it went bad, it had to go.

Then Oh MY did the Truoil ever look sooooooo much better then that satin spray finish.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. It looks like it is going to be Tru-Oil. If I were to have it checkered, does anyone have a recommendation on who does good work?
Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I vote for the tung oil- it takes some time and a few more coats, but it truly is a lifetime finish that is more in the wood than on it.

+1 on: Don't you dare stain that wood!:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have finished a few walnut stocks one thing I would recommend is raising the grain and giving it a final sanding with 400 grit paper to raise the grain just wipe the stock with a wet rag and then let it dry you will see little slivers of wood rise up you don't want this to happen after you put finish on it

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I'm a fan of Deftoil. It's basically tung oil with some polymer. It takes a few coats, but it's durable and easy to touch up if need be. The final coats are wet sanded for a really smooth finish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts