Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
A 1894 in 44-40 might be what your looking for, Unlike the 44 mag, which has a groove dia of .431, the 44-40 has a grove dia of .4285. This is SAAMI spec.

Also, the 44-40 is designed to shoot a 225 gr bullet at 1000 fps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Yep. Ya ain't too far away.. Whatchya got ta trade? :cool:
Oddball, Just looked up Rockwell, down the road from Salisbury. Been to Salisbury a whole bunch shooting the Uprising at Swearing Creek.
Packard- I'll hasta look that up. Sounds interesting. Wonder if it'd make a score a bit iffy..
And are parts available for the guns chambered as such? :unsure:
Edit- It's a bottle neck case. I'm wanting straight wall. Good idea, tho'.

Got a deal simmering on a Winny 94AE Trapper in 357 for my 1895CB.
Checkin it out online now. Seems a skosh iffy as well. And the CB's seem to be bringing more money..

Reactions: packard

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
After researching the lil Winny seems like there's too much possible con to the pro. No spare parts, feeding issues and funky sight mounting options.
Back in the hunt for a Marlin..

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
..Sometimes bore and groove diameters get cornfusing. The upthread reference is prolly to the groove ID. Which is what casters are mainly concerned with. The actual bore of the rifle is smaller. Jacketed bullets ride the bore ID and ya don't hafta worry about gas cutting. With cast it's best to fill the whole groove diameter plus .001" or so in general. This greatly helps to avoid gas cutting of cast lead boolits. That's why it's always best to slug the barrel if ya have aspirations to cast. There's a whole lot more voodoo to it, but that's the jist best as this slacker can remember.
Yep I messed up. I meant groove diameter. The 44 Mag is the only one I know of that the pistol and rifle are different. I do not understand why.

Cleaning from the breech is as easy by removing 1 screw. Then remove the lever, bolt and ejector.
It takes a little fiddling to get it back together. For me it is getting my fat fingers in to maneuver the ejector where it needs to go. Next gunshow I go to I am going to find the guy that always has the hemostats and mod one to grip the ejector.

Reactions: HawgBonz

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yep I messed up. I meant groove diameter. The 44 Mag is the only one I know of that the pistol and rifle are different. I do not understand why.
That is extremely annoying. I'd like to know the logic behind that thought process.
I think it's the same with some others, tho'..
No need to wait for a fun show to get hemostats. Just check yer local head shop! o_O :LOL:

Reactions: Steve_In

·
Registered
872 Posts
Just use your needle nose pliers to remove and insert ejectors on marlins. I have a pair on my cleaning bench at all times. Just what works for me.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Now we're all lookin into that gathering. They look like they have a grande time.. :cool:

Been to Salisbury a whole bunch shooting the Uprising at Swearing Creek.

·
Registered
579 Posts
About the best state match that I’ve ever been to. As good as a regional. But sadly haven't been to one in too many years due to my wife’s deteriorating health.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Good deal. We're prolly gonna check that out..

..We all gots ta do what we gots ta do takin care of family. We just buried my FIL (cancer) this past year. MIL lives with us now. She'd never heard of CAS and was kindof curious to check it out as well.
Might be helpful in prying her away from those danged digital distractions she's glued to most of the time. :rolleyes::cool:

..I had the ad for the 1895CB all written up and ready to post on Carolina Shooters. Just couldn't hit "Post", tho'.
So I reckon I'm still a "Marlin Owner".. :love::)

About the best state match that I’ve ever been to. As good as a regional. But sadly haven't been to one in too many years due to my wife’s deteriorating health.

Reactions: br549arkie
21 - 30 of 30 Posts