Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always thought of having a cabin in the mountains,but the best I could do due to raising a family and job restraints was to go camping a few times a year.Well the years have passed,the kids moved on and my wife passed away.So it was now or never.Gave my old house to my kids and moved to the penna mountains.I've been here 4 years now,built a cabin on 6ac. on top of a mountain in the pa woods.no neighbors just hunting camps in the area.The hardest thing I had to get used to was the shopping for supplys.I love the solitude,it's just me and my two dogs.I put up my own shooting range and use it almost every day.I do my shopping once a month,it's a 50 mile trip[both ways]. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.Would like to hear from others who have taken the plunge.It's a great life.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hi pahermit-I am sorry about your misfortunes but happy for your fortune. I live in a crowded valley but spend a great deal of time in remote areas. My grub needs are a pain as well because I spend a month or more motorcycle camping where I can pack about 2 skimpy days worth of food and water with me and often set camp a long way from supplies. Planning becomes essential doesn't it. ttl doesn't really have it very tough because she just waits for a bear to camp on her porch and blasts it with her Marlin for winter meat. She doesn't even need to put the meat in a freezer most of the year :lol: Great to hear from you and please understand nothing I said about Miss Lilly is true. Just mean! Life is good, BestLever

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My kids are grown and gone and I got a divorce and got the lake house in the settlement. I live in a small sub division of sometime weekenders that is about 23 miles, one way to town. I can go weeks without seeing anyone if I just stay on my own property. I love the solitude and the peace and quiet. I can shoot a deer, squirrel, rabbit, turkey in the front and back yards as well as ducks and geese off the dock. Plenty of fish in the lake too. I carefully plan my trips to town and make lists of what I need so I don't forget anything. I keep a running list of needed items and add to it as I think of things. I miss unlimited high speed internet and get mine from a satellite company. I have very limited broad band allowance. Other than that I am perfectly happy living this life.

Reactions: Gareth Holland

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
I too enjoy the restful peace of having non humans aka my dogs for company.

Wife has been gone for a few days, and will be gone for a few more.

I have neighbors but they just wave passing by.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts