Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After ten years with it, I sold the Suzuki 650 yesterday. Nothing wrong with the bike. It's still the best all-around motorcycle I've ever owned.

Realized that the past three years I've done less than 1,000 miles a year on the bike. Only about 500 - 600 this year.

Changing activities in life I suppose. A year ago I got a great German Wirehaired Pointer, but he needs a lot of attention, a lot of physical work, a lot of training. Almost every morning we go for a walk from 3 - 13 miles. That takes time. Too much time to do much riding later in the day.

Mama quit riding with me a few years ago. Said it hurt her hips too much. :( We started riding together when she was 21 or 22, and I was a couple of years older. We're in our 60's now. When she stopped riding, much of the fun went out of it for me. We tried other bikes including some really nice big road bikes, but she still wasn't comfortable. Then my best riding buddy, Jerry, up and died of a heart attack at 58 or so. 56 maybe? And my old buddy Jim Lawrence, who was Bestlever here on the Marlin Owners Forum, passed in his sleep at 60. He was a motorcycle enthusiast too. My riding buddies were thinning out. Mama wouldn't ride anymore. Dog takes half the morning... I just wasn't riding anymore. Sold the bike. It's still here at the house, the fellow needs a few days to get payment together and then he'll come pick it up.

Oh, sold my Specialized Roubaix bicycle too. Wow. I thought I'd never sell that. It left for some of the same reasons. Now, instead of pedaling along on the bicycle, I'm walking with the dog, and getting some good wildlife photos. Life changes.

I don't know if I'll ever get another motorcycle. I ride just fine. Have enjoyed my few rides this year, and longer rides in the past. If I do, I'll likely pick up some decent, used Japanese bike again. Maybe another V-Strom, for me it was just about perfect.

Bird dog better do good on quail, chukar and pheasant this year, danged critter cost me a good motorcycle!

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
...I can't and don't want to: I built/chopped/souped-up it _
I'm currently taking my lifetime bike home,, one piece at a time, up to the fourth floor,
where I will reassemble it, no matter how long it takes, this even if that's the last thing I'll do_
to hell the rust, salty-humid basements, DOT, helmets, and common sense.
the late Col. Cooper said, regardless of what he was referring to (!),"the Queen is not for sale",
(others today would say only from my cold dead hands, I suppose)_
this is the guiding principle, anyway

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Well done you. Never big on Suzukis, it was a Suzuki that was the most unusial bike I ever used. If memory serves, it was called the R5, and used a Wankel rotary engine. Dont ask about the apex seals. I also seem to remember a brief encounter with a 380cc three cylinder. Maybe I imagined that one.

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well done you. Never big on Suzukis, it was a Suzuki that was the most unusial bike I ever used. If memory serves, it was called the R5, and used a Wankel rotary engine. Dont ask about the apex seals. I also seem to remember a brief encounter with a 380cc three cylinder. Maybe I imagined that one.
Ah, that must have been back in the old, old, old days. ;)

I've had two Suzuki motorcycles. Both were excellent. Low maintenance, fast, fun, reliable. The first was a 1980 GS 750, a four-cylinder that briefly held top spot as the fastest four-stroke 750 on the market. In those days the big Japanese bike makers were having great wars with each other over speed & power. We reaped the benefit with some darned good motorcycles. I had the "Silver Streak" for 10 - 12 years. Can't remember for sure, somewhere in there. It was running strong and riding well when I sold it. Sold it only because the kids were young and there was no time in my life for riding. Kind of like now, except the kids are grown men.

And of course the Orange Crate - the 650 twin. What a great bike and I'll miss it time to time. But it's going to another fellow in his 60's who wants a good general purpose motorcycle - which is pretty much the definition of the V-Strom. A good all-arounder. Sporty enough for most of us. Capable of mild dirt road duty. A good light-tourer with an impressive 300+ mile range. Ya, it's a good bike too. Only selling because I'm simply not riding the motorcycle much anymore. And... There's more money in the hunt fund! :)

So - enjoy your motorcycles all - I'll pop in now and again to check on things.

Guy

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have to do the same with my 2008 Sportster Roadster.
Simply gotten too old (and too slow) to ride it in a city environment without fear of getting hit.

I also had a 1982 GS1000E... it was a fabulous scooter in every aspect.
I like that old traditional "street bike" look better than the crotch rockets.

Reactions: no primers and M700

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Gotta roll with the punches sometimes! Racing motocross (2 and 3 wheelers) as a kid, my dad used to tell me "you're gonna feel that when you get older!" Never understood it then, but now, there was mucho truth in those words! Rode a couple street bikes for a few years, but when my son came along, decided I needed/wanted to be around for a while and riding in South Florida, wasn't conducive to a long life! Miss it some times and have gone along on a few rides with buddies that have an extra bike, but the thought of coming off (much less dying) at my age...makes my body hurt just thinkin' about it! Maybe in a few years when I retire and move somewhere slower, I'll pick up one of those Can Am 3 wheelers (mama thinks those are cool). Then again, maybe not! Enjoy that pup Guy, he sure looks like he enjoys hangin' out with you!

Reactions: no primers

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
I could tell story's for hours about my motorcycle years, from high school to the year I got out of the service, got married, then my wife's girlfriend got a kz400 Kawasaki, then another girl friend got a kz400, then my wife had to have a motorcycle , and we rode together for many years, .then my wife started having back problems, I bought a custom Corbett saddle for her 750 Yamaha Maxim. But it didn't help. We sold her bike, I continued to ride in a club, and solo. Right up till 2 years ago . When I was 70.
I miss it, but I knew it was time. Still remember
A lot of good times .
And a few not so good. I was sitting in a left land, waiting to cross over, to pull into a bike shop, when I got rear-ended at 40 mph. That wasn't a good day.

·
Super Moderator
11,907 Posts
Funny I should see this after I looked at my 650 that I haven't had out more than a handful of times this past year.
The pandemic affected us all in unpredictable ways and then my wife needed care with her cancer returning (she's doing well, thanks)
She also doesn't ride with me anymore and honestly I'm inseam challenged and the VStrom is a tippy-toe bike. Made me nervous with her back there - one low spot and it would be splat.
Thinking about trading it in for a commuter bike since I don't see myself off road anymore.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
...continued: my chop fully in my upper living room, now, waiting to be assembled again.
silly & sad move, apparently, but no other option in my book, and I can't/won't bore anyone with my reasons.
it took a rented forklift + cargo boat + four cyclops to carefully hand-carry the stripped- motor&rigid frame-300lbs-assembly upstairs.
location Venice, northern italy: no roads here, only dirty channels full of gondolas, noisy seagulls and water-water-everywhere-and-not-a-drop-to-drink.
right or wrong, it's done(y)_
(bullet tests against this dot helmet next:))

1 - 15 of 15 Posts