Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reloading since 1975, and consider myself fairly knowledgeable about it. Over the years i have loaded tens of thousands of rounds, and especially love wildcats. However......recently while loading some .257 Roberts, i managed to 'way overcharge a case. Since i'm one of those that weigh each one (plus i visually inspect each case before the bullet goes in), i caught this, and corrected it.
But, i'm getting on in years, and thinking back couldn't see where i might have got that much too much powder in it (over five grains).
So, i decided it was time for me to give it up, which i have. My equipment is going to a young man who is all about learning to reload, and will load anything i want, after i teach him.
Hope i made the right decision..

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I am actually selling alot of my stuff right now. I am only going to load a couple expensive hard to find rounds from now out. Good time to be getting out too. Primers, and everything else has gone through the proverbial ceiling.

I have only ever loaded like you. One case at a time. Never got into the progressives or anything. I do not trust that new fangled stuff to do my work for me,LOL

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Over the years i had accumulated probably 120 mixed boxes of primers (LR, LRM, SP, etc), 35 or so pounds of powder, thousands of bullets and brass, so components wasn't a problem. I kept LOTS of loaded ammo also. But, my safety is important to me also.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I understand. I am mid sixties and been reloading since a teen. I am not sure I would sell all the kit as you have though. I think it's good to keep in case of ammo shortages, but I dont really enjoy doing it anymore. I pretty much only reload the .357 for the 1894c. Having said that, if its just for emergencies, a few Lee Loaders and a small supply of parts would be enough.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hatch, with all due respect, I disagree_
don't give up_
saddle up again : an overload doesn't mean anything, if you're okay_
unless they are economic or other reasons, which in any case is not in my interest or right to investigate,
but think twice before selling anything that is part of your youth_
my 2c.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hatch, with all due respect, I disagree_
don't give up_
saddle up again : an overload doesn't mean anything, if you're okay_
unless they are economic or other reasons, which in any case is not in my interest or right to investigate,
but think twice before selling anything that is part of your youth_

Thank you. But in three months i will be 73, and "LOTS" of ammo translates to a cabinet that is 40" by 18" by 72", and FULL. I'm finding that i'm just not interested in things that i used to like, like reloading, mechanics, motorcycles, etc.
But i DO appreciate your comments!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I agree that reloading is tricky business. I've been doing it about 15 years now and I never feel fully at ease. That said, I don't worry too much these days as I typically use powder charges and cartridges/cases which simply cannot be double charged or overcharged. Example - if I'm loading .45-70's with IMR3031, there's no way I can do a double charge without it spilling out...and even a compressed charge is unlikely to blow up a firearm. Seating depth is mainly what I worry about these days.

·
Premium Member
11,545 Posts
Hatch - I'm sad to read this - that you're selling off your handloading gear - but I also acknowledge that there's a time for everything. When we're real young kids, it's probably best that we don't do some things. Then we enter decades of competency. Then... And I'm entering... We slide a bit. :( Just how it is. If this is the right decision for you, then it's the right decision for you.

But... I'd think hard before selling off your stuff. :) It's a craft that you've mastered. We all make mistakes time to time. Some probably won't admit it. A few years ago I noticed that something just wasn't "right" with the 45 ACP cases I was loading. The powder charge just looked off somehow... Ya, it was. I had mis-set my scale and was dispensing 10 grains of Bullseye instead of 5 grains of Bullseye! YIKES! That could have taken apart my 1911 real fast.

I stopped loading. Set those rounds aside, clearly marked. Didn't load again for another week or more. Double, triple checked. All has been well since that, but ya, we all make mistakes.

Make the best decision for yourself. And thanks for bringing up this important topic. Like it or not, there comes a time in life to stop driving. To stop bicycling. To stop mountain climbing. And perhaps even to stop handloading.

My respects to you, for recognizing that maybe that time has come. That you're willing and able to teach a new handloader is admirable.

Guy

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Quitters never win. Winners never quit.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I get where you're coming from. HOWEVER, you made ONE mistake, and one that was caught early enough to not really be a problem, over a 45 year reloading career. Now you're going to trust reloads to someone who is just learning and doesn't have near the experience that you have? To me, that is taking a MUCH bigger risk, and it is something I would be hard pressed to ever consider.

Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
The saddest day in my life was when I gave up chasing women. 🏃‍♂️ Lots of great memories, but almost 20 years ago I remarried & made myself that promise. 😇 Sure makes me sad sometimes though.............:cry:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all sincerely for your replies and comments. This was a hard decision for me to come to, and no one i'd rather share it with than the members of this forum. North Idaho Shooter, your point is very well made. I truly doubt that i will ever need any other ammo tho, since i have hundreds and hundreds of hunting rounds already on hand. That being said, the young man that is getting my stuff is very conscientious (he's a brand-new deputy sheriff), someone i have known since he was 10 and will not do anything until and after he's cleared it with me. To be sure, that will only last for a period of time. But i also believe that this is a decision we will all come to at one time or another and i believe it is my time now.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The sadest day in my life was when I gave up chasing women. ...
...I stopped fifty years ago, when I realized that they were the ones who decide to hunt, and who to chase, anyway..
I'm too lazy to run, and even more to run away._
but I thank Providence for all that arrives :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I turned 72 in June and started loading my own ammo in 1969. I still enjoy the process and have a small dedicated room where it all comes together. I keep my powder out of the loading room and only take the can of it that I am using at that time into the room with me. Also after i shoot some ammo, I size, deprime, expand and clean the brass so it's ready for a primer, powder charge and bullet seating when I want to load more cartridges. I do one complete round at a time and use powder dippers and a scale. There is not a computer or a television in the loading room and it is only big enough for me to fit comfortably in. If I want to try a new load, I look at two or more loading books before proceeding.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been handloading since shortly after coming back from Vietnam in 68 and I am 73 now. I too would probably throw in the towel if it wasn't for the fact that I can walk only 200 feet from the house and be shooting at my own range behind the horse barn. I hate public or club ranges because mostly of some of the idiots that show up there to ruin your day. Handloading to me, of course, is still fun , relaxing and rewarding.

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision (one that we will all have to make some day), but sounds like your equipment will be goin' to the right place!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts