Marlin Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this rifle, but I'm thinning the herd and have another I like better, so this one is going on the block. Straight-stock 1895 in 45-70, 24 inch octagon barrel, I'm no expert on condition but I'd rate this one at 95% or so. There are some tiny handling dings on the wood, but nothing obvious. It wears an old Weaver K2.5 scope that looks perfect on it, at least to me. The lever was leather-wrapped by the previous owner, who did a nice job of it. I have a total of 35 rounds through this rifle, the previous owner didn't have many either, but I don't know the count, I'm pretty sure it's never seen anything but lead boolits. $900, shipping would be extra.

Sorry about the crummy pictures, new camera doesn't much like me.

Not interested in trades, I need to make some room in the vault for other things. Thanks for looking!

Oh, and the first "I'll Take It" gets it, and must be followed up with a PM.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
24 inch barrel,or 26 inch
Unless I'm missing something, it should be a 26" bbl unless it's been cut and I don't think it has. So it's possible PJ has it listed as 24" but it's actually 26". I'm just guessing and trying to lend a hand though....

I'm trying Hard to not look, and Even Harder to find funds for this one!? :shot:

GLWS. :tee:
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the confusion, it's 26", or as Wind instructed me, nearly that from the breechface forward. When I measured it, it was something on the order of 25.25" from the receiver junction forward.

A few other odd details; The Weaver scope doesn't say where it was made, so I have to ASSUME it's American-made. What little research I've done suggests it's a post WWII model with a 1-inch steel tube. The reticle is a Duplex, with just a hint of fuzz on the upright hair, suggesting it's fabric and not steel thread. There is nothing stamped on the mount, I'm guessing it's an old Redfield, but I know very little about such things.

The sights are factory, a dovetailed front with a tiny brass bead and a large Buckhorn behind, an inch in front of the scope mount.

I looked hard for blemishes, but all I can find are two tiny pinhead-sized circles on the top of the comb. The wood-to-metal fit is spectacular. Not custom-grade rifle perfect, but as good as it gets on a production Marlin. The crown also appears perfect. This rifle was clearly not shot much! Rifling is clear and sharp. I have to assume the previous owner did the leather wrap, it's a nice touch, and far better than I could do on my best day. There is no slop in the forend at all, but it's been humid here lately.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I don't know what it would cost to ship, that will be extra, with the buttstock removed. I would much prefer a face-to-face transaction, but will ship it if necessary.

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump again. If somebody doesn't buy this rifle pretty soon I'm going to shoot it some more, and you know what'll happen then! One of them has to go, and this one barely fits in the safe with that 26-inch barrel. Help me out here guys!

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Bump again. If somebody doesn't buy this rifle pretty soon I'm going to shoot it some more, and you know what'll happen then! One of them has to go, and this one barely fits in the safe with that 26-inch barrel. Help me out here guys!

Well PJ you could always make it an 18 incher. Would make A great set.

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If there are no takers by mid-week I'm going to put it upon GunBroker. I'd rather not, but I need to clear some stuff out. Frankly, I can't believe it hasn't sold yet, I see these guns going on the auction sites for a good bit more, and this one is at least 95%. Everyone at my workplace has said they'd love to buy it, but nobody has the cash right now. Timing is everything!

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Super Moderator
16,871 Posts
Can't believe it's still setting here, at $900.00 seems like a good buy to me. Well PJ, if you take it GB maybe you'll come out a couple $$ more than you're asking! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
If my A/C unit was not failing, it would be mine already. I frankly can't believe it is still here.

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About 4 years ago, you taught me to post pics on MO!
I did? Most of what I've taught people is now NOT to do something. Score one for me! Glad it's going to someone I know, I think your bride will like it, and you might even get your 1894C back!

Nah, sorry, but I really don't see that happening. She's too smart for that.

PM sent.

Reactions: papajohnabi

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This one is SOLD. Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just stumbled upon this one.
Went to the end hoping it was still for sale.

Missed it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.