Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would throw this one out there. When I first got my Wesson & Harrington 1871 Buffalo Classic 45-70 I wanted to learn all I could about casting my own boolits. A good friend of mine bought me my first mold from Lee Precision I also got hold of several production pots now and all the other things associated with casting your own boolits. At that time the only good mold for the 45-70 was the .459-405-HB because of the nice wide lube grooves. Well I see they have added one more for long range now 459-500-3R.

I have the C457-500-F and becuase of it needing gas checks and the narrow lube grooves I just have not used it and am hoping that Lee Precision will take it back towards the 459-500-3R that I can use in both my Ultra 45-70 and my Sharps in 45-90

Well I just thought I would pass this along :)

G

·
Like yourself I started casting for a 45-70 first, and like you my first molds were made by Lee. Now I cast for about a dozen different rifle cartridges and 4 or 5 pistol cartridges. But the strange thing is I find the casting part almost as much fun as shooting :!:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6pt-sika said:
Like yourself I started casting for a 45-70 first, and like you my first molds were made by Lee. Now I cast for about a dozen different rifle cartridges and 4 or 5 pistol cartridges. But the strange thing is I find the casting part almost as much fun as shooting :!:
If it wasn't for the brass cartridges already being made, and really no way to make them myself, we would be doing that as well. I will take the brass case over paper cartridges anyday. There is just some kind of satisfaction in forming your own boolit. And then when you go hunting with your own cast boolits there is even a greater feeling.

It just keeps getting better and better.

G

·
Know what you mean , I have been known to make a big deal out of killing a deer....when it was shot with a bullet I cast and loaded , then processed by myself. It's almost like you get some kind of deep deep satisfaction from not needing anyone else :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
6pt-sika said:
Know what you mean , I have been known to make a big deal out of killing a deer....when it was shot with a bullet I cast and loaded , then processed by myself. It's almost like you get some kind of deep deep satisfaction from not needing anyone else :D
Nuttin' quite like it! We all must all be lil Red Hens, {:eek:))))'
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is a big deal! I cast many of my bullets too. The first time I killed a deer with my cast lead bullet,,,,,,man,,,,,that was something else!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts