Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Make sure you bring a good knife!

The hide, opened along the back, reveals its thickness relative to a Buck Knive's blade - a Vangard model.

G

·
yep...its a chore isn't it

two very good knives and a good sharpening stone before you're done...

nice close-up pic's Golsovia...and the one of your "shooting range" too....no place like Alaska

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alaskan said:
yep...its a chore isn't it

two very good knives and a good sharpening stone before you're done...

That's true. I'll bet a guy could get himself in trouble if all he had was a single knife and no sharpener - at the very least it could become a very long lasting chore!

I usually follow a rather established routine when working moose. A Buck Skinner and/or Vangard to peel 'im with and a Remington sheath knife (my caribou knife) for the inside jobs. I also carry a sharpening tool but I sure hate to have to especially when the mercury shrinks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Even better if two guys have two good knives. My partners knife wasn't too sharp this year. I may have to buy him a couple of good knives. I like the Vanguard as well. Buck makes a good knife.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Even better if two guys have two good knives. My partners knife wasn't too sharp this year. I may have to buy him a couple of good knives. I like the Vanguard as well. Buck makes a good knife.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On second thought, I'm kind of glad the season's not open at the moment:

313 PM AST WED NOV 9 2005
.TONIGHT...DECREASING CLOUDS. FLURRIES. LOWS ZERO TO 10 ABOVE
ZERO. NORTH WINDS 20 TO 35 MPH.
.THURSDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS ZERO TO 10 ABOVE. NORTH
WINDS 15 TO 30 MPH.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW.
LOWS ZERO TO 5 ABOVE. NORTH WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH.
.VETERANS DAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 5 TO 15.
NORTH WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS ZERO TO 5 ABOVE.
NORTH WINDS 10 TO 25 MPH.
.SATURDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 20.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 10 ABOVE.
.SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 25.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 15.
On the bright side, I guess this'll help solidify the ground, water, and other places that might test a person's will come December.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The six years that I lived in Alaska I found out that moose hunting is fun until you happen to get one, then the fun is over.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed! It's a very strange mix of of elation and disappointment when the sound of the shot fades and an animal the size of a moose lies still on the ground. In winter I'm pretty pumped again though after I get the meat hauled over the last hill and everything is downhill thereafter.

G

·
Golsovia said:
Agreed! It's a very strange mix of of elation and disappointment when the sound of the shot fades and an animal the size of a moose lies still on the ground. In winter I'm pretty pumped again though after I get the meat hauled over the last hill and everything is downhill thereafter.

Thats why you go on a guided hunt , and let someone else do the hard part :wink: Guided elk hunts ain't cheap but its a lot easier getting an elk or moose for that matter out on horses rather then your back.

Thats probably why I like Sika deer so much , I can gut a nice one and either float him out or carry him out in one shot .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts