Marlin Firearms Forum banner

So Who Hunts With A Tang Sight?

901 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Carolina Sorillo 
#1 ·
This is in reference to my 1895CB but there are probably more tang sight owners in this section than any other.

Tang sights like the Lyman and Marbles apply but in my case my CB is equipped with an MVA mid-range vernier sight for working up to long range shooting. And of course it's fun to use. Granted a tang sight designed to achieve hits on 600 yard dingers is overkill at 75-100 yard deer ranges at my deer camp. But the rear buckhorn has been replaced by a dovetail slot filler and I don't have a Lyman or Williams FP to slap on it for a couple days a year.

We all know a 26" barreled lever gun is already a bit more unwieldy to carry through the trees and briars than an 18.5" barrel 30-30 Texan. How much more care does it take to carry that rifle with a 4" long vernier sight out to and into your tree stand? The Texan has proven effective at getting the venison but the happiest I have been is when deer have fallen to my peep sight equipped CB. It really appeals to me to get a deer now with the MVA mounted on it.

#5 ·
It shouldn't be too tough but I wanted to hear from some who have done it. Even at the range your headgear has to change. Hunting would require a stocking cap or a Gabby Hays replica. In blaze orange of course.

I can't see using a rope to pull it up to the stand and risk banging a $325 sight against the tree or ladder.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy
#7 ·
The Marbles and Lyman tang sights are quite a bit less bulky than an MVA. I can see how the Marbles would be fairly easy to use in the squirrel woods. Sure is a good way to nail them buggers in the head!

#8 ·
i use a Lyman tang sight on my 1942 Winchester M94. I probly would have gone with a reciever mounted peep but mine was not drilled and tapped for a reciever sight and i didn't want to alter it. I have not "poked my eye out" yet. It's more accurate than my reciever mounted peep on my 336, using the same XS post front sight. I believe that's cuz of extended sight radius with the tang sight. When you look thru both peeps the front sight on the winchester is much clearer and sharper than the Marlin

#9 ·
I have an 1893 .30-30 with a period correct Lyman tang on it. When I got it, it had no rear barrel sight and the front sight was chewed up so I put a semi-buckhorn on it and a 1/16" gold bead. I have my "standard" load sighted in to the rear barrel sight and a "squirrel" load sighted in to the tang. I had a '95CB that I hunted with, with a Marble's tang on it and a '94CB with a Marble's that I played "Cowboy" with. They are not as frail as some would have you think they are, fold it down when not in use and you'll be fine.

C.S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.