Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visit a couple of other sites that have running threads that are fun to keep up with so I thought I would start one here.

Tonight's dinner was Sherry brined, roasted raspberry chipotle sauce glazed, slow grilled pork chops with a side of edamame.

The sauce:

The brine:

2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup Alvear Oloroso Asuncion Montilla-Moriles Sherry
1/3 cup demerara sugar (pure cane sugar that has not been fully refined)
1 Tbsp crushed peppercorns (I use a mortar & pestle)
2 Tbsp kosher salt
4 cups ice

Bring the first 5 items to a boil in a sauce pan. Remove from heat and add the ice. Once the ice melts, place in a heavy duty plastic bag with pork chops for at least 4 hours. Or (what I do) place the mix & pork chops in a vacuum canister on use your food sealer. The second option only takes about 10 minutes or so.

On a side note, did you know onion chives bloom?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well, that sounds good. I had sliced baked ham and a summer salad that my mother used to make consisting of cucumbers, green peppers, Vidalia onions and tomatoes sliced up in a large bowl with a bottle of Italian dressing to soak them in. Tomorrow I will cut up a few more vegetables and add them to the bowl and add just a little more dressing. You can keep this salad going for several days this way. The dressing keeps the vegetables fresh.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Tonight was just good old pan fried chicken and sweet corn! Great looking meal you prepared vegasguy!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I was feeling lazy, so I just whipped up a little salmon salad with some home canned fish, and made sandwiches. Spiced it up a little with hot sauce and some garlic scapes from this year's garlic crop.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Beef steak, baked potato w/sour cream and a 1/2 of red onion nuked 4 minutes.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
woodrat said:
I was feeling lazy, so I just whipped up a little salmon salad with some home canned fish, and made sandwiches. Spiced it up a little with hot sauce and some garlic scapes from this year's garlic crop.
How do you make your salmon salad and are you using sourdough bread? The only recipe I have for canned/smoked salmon is equal parts salmon, cream cheese and salsa. Great for spreading on crackers but would make a terrible sandwich.

·
Registered
649 Posts
vegasguy said:
How do you make your salmon salad and are you using sourdough bread? The only recipe I have for canned/smoked salmon is equal parts salmon, cream cheese and salsa. Great for spreading on crackers but would make a terrible sandwich.
Jar of canned salmon, couple of spoonfuls of good tartar sauce, some hot sauce, dill, garlic, sometimes chives or chopped onions. I either make sandwiches with it, or roll it up into nori rolls.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I put about a pound of yelloweye beans to soak this morning before I went to work. When I got home this evening I put them on to cook with about a half cup of beef broth to season. When they were just about done I dumped in a quart of canned deer meat.
My "supper", that's what we call dinner where I'm from, was a bowl of the beans and deer meat with fresh sliced cukes and some grilled squash and onions from the garden. Didn't take the time to make corn bread, besides I'm trying to cut down on carbs. ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
How about some 15 bean soup with diced Smithfield ham and diced Vidalia Onions to make it finished.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
buffalo hump roast ready for my BGE...

cherry wood smoke getting started...

ready for the table, wrapped it at 140 F...

I have to admit it was very tasty! ;D

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Been wanting to do a prime rib on my BGE for some time and finally worked up the courage as my wife invited friends over for supper. I told them up front they were guinea pigs ;D

Prepped for the BGE. Rubbed with EVOO and then a 1/3rd cup of flour, tsp black pepper, tsp garlic power and tsp celery salt .

Got the BGE fired up and heated to a blazing 210 degrees for 4 hours. I used a few chunks of cherry wood supplied by a friend in Michigan.

While waiting I christened a gift from a great friend! What else to do on a hot day by a hot grill? :whistle:

Almost ready for the table! When it hot 135 internal temp I opened the vents on the BGE to bring temp up to 400 then shut it all down until internal temp hit 145. Everyone got a cut done to their liking!

No on the plate pics as they wouldn't wait! No complaints on it either...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts