Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting a fair amount to of 22LR recently. Today, though, I decided to dig out the 336 and blow up some jugs of water, a watermelon and poke some holes in a target. Now, I'm fully aware that the 30-30 ranks pretty low on the totem pole when it comes to "high-powered rifles," but still- trust me that after a steady diet of 22LR, having a 336 in your hands is like having a rocket in your hands.

Is it enjoyable to zap a tin can with a 22 from 50 or 80 yards away? Of course it is. But blasting that same can with a "real" rifle is in an entirely different league. After the sharp crack of a 22, the BOOM the 30-30 makes is downright exhilarating. Not to mention the fact that the bullet seems to get to the target instantly. Apparently 2200 fps is a lot faster than 1200 fps!

Ah, life's simple pleasures. Everyone should own a 336. :)

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Sounds like a fun day for sure!

Doc

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
You're right Ditto, it is the simple things that are pleasing and soothing that make an old bloke content.:) Yeah I'm a 58 model too.

Mark.

Reactions: ditto1958

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey Ditto an Oz, another 58 model here. And you're right, everyone should own a 336 or 2 or.....

Reactions: ditto1958

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
If you think the 30-30 is so much fun with clothes on you should try touching off a 45-70 at a watermelon. I shot one last summer from 30 yds and the pieces had a 15 second hang time. I bet I sat and laughed for 10 minutes. some folks just don't understand how much shooting can be.................

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blew up a few more gallon jugs yesterday. This could get addictive. But hey- you can rationalize anything. If it weren't for 22LR being scarce, I'd never have to shoot any a them fancy centerfire boolits.

Oh, and did I mention how much I like the way the 30-30's get to the target so much faster?

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you think the 30-30 is so much fun with clothes on you should try touching off a 45-70 at a watermelon. I shot one last summer from 30 yds and the pieces had a 15 second hang time. I bet I sat and laughed for 10 minutes. some folks just don't understand how much shooting can be.................
I'm pretty sure I "need" a Marlin 1895. I'm just not sure if I "need" it more than a 35 Remington. :flute:

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're right Ditto, it is the simple things that are pleasing and soothing that make an old bloke content.:) Yeah I'm a 58 model too.

Mark.
How old does that make you then? Don't y'all use some sort of metric system down there? I know that when it's really hot there, you y'all claim its only 30 degrees. If it works like that with age, I may have to consider relocating. :)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Yeah, you are correct, i own more then one 336, but have stopped shooting water jugs and melons now that the price of a box of 20 rounds have tripled, save them now for hunting.
But it sure is fun.

·
Administrator
28,299 Posts
I too enjoy blowing up things. Especially old computers that gave me entirely too much frustration for entirely too long. And to add to the excitement my last one I took to a buddies house farm. We ran an a few extension cords to it and turned it on before I shot the dickens out it. Too much fun watching go through different stages of destruction and sparks fly.

I consider it therapeutic as several years of frustration that dang computer gave me just melted away. :biggrin:

Jack

Reactions: cthulhufan

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm pretty sure I "need" a Marlin 1895. I'm just not sure if I "need" it more than a 35 Remington. :flute:
Yes, you definitely need the .35 Rem. Why? Because you don't have one of course? As an added plus, blowing up jugs is MUCH cheaper with the .35 than either 30-30 or even .22.

How can that be you might ask? Because one look at the .35 and those jugs just go ahead and explode on their own, don't even have to touch the round off. :flute:

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Here you go! You need all three!!!
Top: 1895GBL JM
Middle 1895SBL MR
Bottom: Custom Glenfield 35Rem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts