Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how would you live?

I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I have a lot of comforts such as electricity and internet --this is fine for me.

So far people have talked about the old days in this forum and we can certainly learn a lot from the old ways. But living in a remote area is more of a choice than a fact of life in these times and there are different factors involved.

Up here---it's possible to live almost self sufficiently. I know a guy who traps and makes decent money, almost no one buys meat here at the store because game and fish are so plentiful. There's land for sale at good prices still as long as you stay away from the real estate companies.

More later, I'm falling asleep.

G

·
I want to retire on the eastern shore of MD in Dorchester County . To be more specific down in the southern part around Wingate.
I'd like to get a 20-30 acres of forested wetlands / marsh . And have a prexsisting home. You can't build new homes out there in the wetlands , but you can remodel pre standing homes.
This is not like going to AK , but it's pretty out away from the crowd lets say . You have to drive 30 miles to get to a "town" .
I do not want to work up there just retire and hunt :wink:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
When I was young, I thought I wanted to move to Alaska and live in a cabin. Running away was more like it. Married with children I settled down a bit and accepted the fate of a 8-5 job and bills. Now my children are nearly all out on their own.
The wife and I have a 27' motor home for traveling. We consider that the cabin in the woods or on the lake that we never got to have. The advantage is, that we can "move" on short notice and the fun factor is way up there on the charts. Our little Jeep usually follows us around and if there is happiness for us, I guess this must be it. In truth, it isn't that expensive, as we eat, sleep and basically live out of our little cabin.
Now before you start thinking big bucks, it cost less than most pay for a new car, which we have never had. Maintenance and gas is not that bad. Home really is, where you hang your hat.
Regards
Bestboss

·
Banned
1,569 Posts
If my wife would go, I'd be living in a shack in the middle of the woods somewhere in Tennessee or Kentucky. I hate working a regular job, and I hate the modern helpless mindset of my coworkers.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
If I could talk the wife into quitting her job. (And her employer is making it easy) I’d quit mine and get out of NJ. I’m thinking Montana. Don’t know why. Never been there. But it sure looks interesting.

Like to get far enough out that you don’t have to deal with home owner associations dictating what kind of fence you can put up or what color you can paint your house or even color Christmas lights you can use. No neighbors to complain about you fixing up your old car in your own driveway is bringing down their property values. Or neighbors that complain to the township that your outdoor bullet casting may be giving their kids lead poisoning.
But I don’t want to be that far out that I become the subject in one of those “crazy mountain man” campfire scary stories. :shock:

Still like to drive into town for a cup of coffee and socializing now & then.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Swampman said:
If my wife would go, I'd be living in a shack in the middle of the woods somewhere in Tennessee or Kentucky. I hate working a regular job, and I hate the modern helpless mindset of my coworkers.
It appears I'm a very lucky person. I have a Wife who supports everything that makes me happy. I live on the edge of 100+ acres, with deer, turkey, rabbits and squirrels. And it's only 10 minutes from the nearest store. I believe that's all a man needs is his Marlin, Mate, dogs, land and a place to get a cold beer. :lol: Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Fubar said:
It appears I'm a very lucky person. I have a Wife who supports everything that makes me happy. I live on the edge of 100+ acres, with deer, turkey, rabbits and squirrels. And it's only 10 minutes from the nearest store. I believe that's all a man needs is his Marlin, Mate, dogs, land and a place to get a cold beer. :lol: Correct me if I'm wrong.

Fubar.......Thats about as close to heaven as you can get while breathing.. :lol:

·
Registered
353 Posts
well.. where I'm at, we've got 7 acres, live in a horsing community that has about 65 homesites and has dirt roads that will never be paved and our neighborhood backs up to a state hunting reserve for primitive weapons. But our location has us 10 to 15 minutes from a Walmart, Lowes, & Home Depot and another 10 minutes from any where in town.

The wife and I are looking real strong at moving to Wyoming in a few years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I'd never get totally away from society, I'd have to do some kind of work.

But my plan is to be debt-free in roughly two to three more years. Then I'll move to the property I'm buying and I plan on living cheap (basically out of a tent) and scratch out a homestead on my own. It'll be kind of how I grew up. We were poor, and went without electricity for several years. I thought it was the bee's knees, living like frontiersmen and all.

So mainly I want to stay debt free so i can work pretty much any kind of job to pay the minimal bills I'd have (car insurance, gas, repairs, glasses now and then, etc).

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Hope you don’t get tangled up with local/state ordinances requiring a solid building with foundation built to their specifications (read $$ building permits $$) by licenses contractors complete with, water, electric, heat & TAXES.

Don’t think there’s anyplace left in US & Canada that doesn’t require it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have been there and done that. Miss it.
We lived out in the bush up in the Sawtooth mtn range. Had to drive 280 miles to go to the store. ( one way )
No running H2o No elec. Had oil lamps, wood stove to cook on and in.
Stored meats in a hole in the ground in the frozen premafrost.

I had a sand point well with a hand pump for water. Drove in down through the floor of the cabin right next to the wood stove. That way the pipe stayed warn enough so it did not freeze all winter.
The wife and i both miss the good old days. If not for health reasons we would still be out in the bush.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The wife and I did the bush life for awhile. Could again if pressed. Got sort of spoiled these days living on the fringe with power, plumbing, access, and positive cash flow. Somehow we think we are stylin now that we sometimes cook outside and poop inside mostimes.

AKmeatcutter....

Lost track of you there for a while. Drop me an email one day. I check it everysooften these days.

Am fritterin away my time pulling freight up the Haul Road. sort of Semi-Retired as it were :)

Keeps me busy and the view from my "office" is spectacular. Getting paid to sit on my butt is a bonus.

My best,

Scotty

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL Coldfingers.

I'm a city girl now---the population where I'm at is over 800!

Don't think I'll ever live in the bush again though I don't regret a moment of it. Well, maybe a couple of moments. All in all it was good though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts