Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now it seems to me that it's quite unusual that we keep hearing about the guns with the barrel droop. I have a couple questions. Are they only 338 (seems like the highest number) and 308 Marlins? I haven't heard of any 336's, 444's 450's 45-70's, etc having this problem. Was this simply a bad run and they are all showing up on this forum? Is this a self fulfilling prophecy?

Seems like the more we post about them the more we hear. I haven't counted the number of 338's but it seems disproportionate. Almost like once somebody reads about a bad one, it suddenly infects their gun.

So what in the world is going on? I can't believe there were thousands of these guns released with the flaws we are hearing about. Unfortunately we'll probably never get a good answer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When u mount a scope and adjust it to the ceiling after installing shims to .048 at the rear and still hit dirt I don't think its make believe!
I thought shims would be OK, but after carefully anylizing it thats crazy! If they exspect me to put a scope on this gun ( Which cost more than the gun! ) I'm not going to bend it trying to get it to work! A two piece mount will damage a scope at those angles. I love the 338, but mine is just built bad as alot of others. It's starting to seem more bad ones than good ones are out there. We are just wondering why it was allowed to happend and why the fix is slow to say the least. I would like to show u pics, but I can't seem to get them through! I have a 338MXLR MR01xxx under the hammer is a encrypted barcode and 2 10 11. It seams as if the new run is also affected meaning they haven't listen to the complaints or just don't care. I wonder how many parts they have pre built & how long it will take them to get used. It's starting to feel like the auto industry without the need for recalls! If this was allowed to happend whats next? If all these start to fail over time and people start getting hurt will you think its made up then!

This new and better round for the lever was going to be awsome! Its seems as if they've shot themselfs in the foot!
For those who have a good one let us know how they're doing! If so many are built bad I'm starting to wonder if the durabilty might be next!

All some of us wanted was a 3-400yd lever to put behind the seat in the combine/tractor/truck! I still love the 338MX round!

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Hal,

I bought a 1951 336A a few years ago with severe barrel droop. My 2002 1895 has it. Neither rendered it unserviceable, although scoping was a bit more of a challenge for the 1895. It still shoots well, but not put together quite perfectly. It comes to play more on these longer distance guns because of the need for increased accuracy.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr. A said:
Hal,

I bought a 1951 336A a few years ago with severe barrel droop. My 2002 1895 has it. Neither rendered it unserviceable, although scoping was a bit more of a challenge for the 1895. It still shoots well, but not put together quite perfectly. It comes to play more on these longer distance guns because of the need for increased accuracy.
That's rather interesting. I never knew that.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I never did either.I think that was a fluke cause their are millions of these rifles around scoped and I have NEVER heard anyone ever say they had any scoping fitting mechanical issues.Halwg,their was a post on here the other day when a fella stated that he has a newer rifle with issues.It was a 30-30 I think but can,t recall.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dr. A said:
Hal,

I had a 1895 Lim V that had this too. It wasn't bad enough to ship back but it took shims to get the scope to be on target. I never said anything because It shot well enought once the scope was shimed.

I think so much more is said now because we are all upset by the sale also thus the problem is magnified somewhat imho.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Talked to Marlington 6-8 weeks is the soonest turn around.
I'm hoping to keep that great barrel! If they fix it right the first time I'll be understanding at best. Crossing my fingers & looking for something else to keep my mind off it!
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Go find an 1894C to play with until you get the 338 back. ;D DP

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a good one and it shoots about 1 1/4" groups at 100yds. ( i think the gun will do better, but the shooter is not that good). i hunted last year with it and i really like the gun.
I have practiced with it at 300 yds and have no problem hitting a 7" saw blade with regularity. looking forward to shooting something breathing at that distance, but so far only close range.

nailer

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I'd be surprised if it could be fixed short of useing a new reciever. Its got to be the reciever threaded area I'd think not being in line with the top.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
good ole boy said:
I never did either.I think that was a fluke cause their are millions of these rifles around scoped
Wow millions of Marlin Expresses! :eek: I didn't realize they were sellling that well. ;D ;)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well they have been telling Us 6 to 8 weeks for months! I went in to check on My 338 MX today and talked to the owner, He said He called His rep and didn't get any good news and He was really frustrated and couldn't give any kind of time frame. Dennis

·
Registered
274 Posts
Coomster said:
Talked to Marlington 6-8 weeks is the soonest turn around.
I'm hoping to keep that great barrel! If they fix it right the first time I'll be understanding at best. Crossing my fingers & looking for something else to keep my mind off it!
Any suggestions?
plus 1

·
Registered
30 Posts
after lots and lots of bitching, what finally worked for me was leaving a little of my feelings on their facebook page for all to see. It didn't take long for a response and a few questions. What came out of it has been a call from the warranty dept---Marlin division. He told me that they have repaired their machine and are waiting for the engineers to test and certify it before they can start repairs. He told me for sure it needs a new receiver due to threading misalignment. I hope all this rings true, but I have been waiting since the beginning of Oct for a solution to this issue. From all the BS I have heard from the Remington people, this one just has an honesty feel to it. I look forward to receiving my working 338MX in the mail soon I hope.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
quietman said:
Wow millions of Marlin Expresses! :eek: I didn't realize they were sellling that well. ;D ;)
If you would have red the initial post quietman you would have seen that he was askin about 336 series rifles like 30-30,s and .35rems for example.

·
Registered
845 Posts
That is some good news but I'm still not going to hold my breath as we herd news like this before but I hope Your right because I really miss my 338mx, Did I say I really miss my 338mx. Dennis

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
good ole boy said:
If you would have red the initial post quietman you would have seen that he was askin about 336 series rifles like 30-30,s and .35rems for example.
Aww, you're taking all the fun out of it ;) The smiley's were because it was in jest, not serious.

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
It makes sense to me that their receiver threading machine was out of alignment but you would think after the first few complaints they would have shut it down instead of continuing to crank out bad ones. It must have been the quota. Fom

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Or they had a bunch of previously manufactured receivers that they decided to go ahead and use, hoping the barrel droop problem was an isolated set of circumstances.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts