Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems there is more jaw jacking than lever racking going on. the match has been open for almost a month and I have yet to receive a target. Last year guys were whinning that it was too hot, why don't we do this in the spring? Well............???? ;)

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
So far this year it's been too cold and wet. I guess the weather never cooperates.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
I keep shooting them in the same blame hole :D Take some kind of CSI investigator to figure out how to score em. Ill back up some more and try. ;D Just kidding, I have done some fair shooting, but haven't got a printer. I'm at Debs today, shes cleaning out her Mom's house to sell. If I can think of it, I'll get her to print me a few tonight. From what I've been reading some of these guys are all into this. Buying and trying all kinds of new stuff, I'm doing what I've always done, making do with what I got. Low,Low buget, but I do own some shooters..Gunrunner

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
I been shooting, Bro! Just don't have any that will compare to last years top 10 yet.

Still trying tho.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Roan that gives you a huge leg up. I had to quit competing as my old eyes are just too bad now and a 4X just doesn't get it for me at 100 yd. I once challenged the field in the 100 Yd Scoped Division of Ranch Dog's Postal Match for a $5 a piece bet that I could beat them. Heck, I figured I could beat at least half of them and it was a safe bet. :eek: A few took me up on it and surprisingly I won that year and it upped the participation as RD's Match was flagging a bit. They had to send their $5 checks to the NRA. We all won!!! ;)

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Would really like to shoot both the 35 and 30-30 with irons in this. But baseball season is in and have two sons playing HS ball. Once that is over, I will get some shooting time. If it is still open, I will be in.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
We got 'till August 31st.

Seems like a while, but it will be here before we know it!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Still snowing here.. LOL

·
Registered
125 Posts
RAIN, or windy here in PA. Once this rain and wind stop I will be all over it, Im itching to shoot!!!

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VTDW said:
Roan that gives you a huge leg up. I had to quit competing as my old eyes are just too bad now and a 4X just doesn't get it for me at 100 yd. I once challenged the field in the 100 Yd Scoped Division of Ranch Dog's Postal Match for a $5 a piece bet that I could beat them. Heck, I figured I could beat at least half of them and it was a safe bet. :eek: A few took me up on it and surprisingly I won that year and it upped the participation as RD's Match was flagging a bit. They had to send their $5 checks to the NRA. We all won!!! ;)

Dave 8)
Dave
There is no 4x restriction. It is just scopes or open sights.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I will just figgir out how to mount my spotter and give it a go.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
VTDW said:
I will just figgir out how to mount my spotter and give it a go.
Uh-Oh :eek: All you scope shooters better go run an hide...The MASTER has come out of the closet, an gonna shoot again. :eek: :D :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Aussie 2010 Postal Champion signing on for 2011, Going to the range this Sunday 8)

Seeing as I can't shoot my .45/70 off the bench with my current loads :eek: I forked out $95 for a container of Trailboss just for this postal shoot and will be loading up for the 50m iron sight comp, both for myself AND team .45/70 - GO TEAM! :p

Also taking the .44/40 with some new fangled smokeless loads to try my luck off the bench with her this year.

AND ;) I have to confess I have developed a mild case of Marlinitis (I had hoped the disese it was contained to the USA but it must have become airborne or made it downunder hiding in a tourists hand luggage) as I am currently waiting on licensing paperwork to purchase a Marlin 336 .30-30 and she is SCOPED so I'll be trying in the scoped events too when that comes through.

But this now raises another conundrum.... will I join Team Thuddy Thuddy..... or should I stay loyal to Team Four Five Seven Ohhhh in the postal shoot ? ;D

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
HotShot2 said:
But this now raises another conundrum.... will I join Team Thuddy Thuddy..... or should I stay loyal to Team Four Five Seven Ohhhh in the postal shoot ? ;D
You just shoot what ever calibers you want and have fun!!!
I appreciate your dedication to our team .45/70, but all us teams together are part of an even greater team!!! That's what it's all about!!!

Im also a member of Team .30/30 and Team .35 Rem!!!
Wait 'til they see the targets I send them!!! LOL!!! ;) ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I loaded 5 rounds up yesterday (Saturday) with trailboos and tried them out at home first to make sure it was all going to work okay at the range.
4.5kg empty gas cylinder at 50m - my hunting load punched straight through (the control shot).
The trailboss loads only put large dints in the cylinder and made it ring - but shot about 6 inches lower than the hunting load.

Went to the range today to shoot the 50m Target for the Postal Shoot.
only took 45 rounds for the .45/70 ::) will have to take many, many, many more next time.

The trailboss was very mild to shoot, so easy to shoot of the bench rest that I could sit there and do it all day long.
I tried 300gn projectiles infront of 14gn of Trailboss.
Next time I'm gunna try 405gn cast bullets infront of 12gn of Trailboss (only coz I've got a heap of em, and a mould to make many more).

Also took the .44/40 (shhhh, Win94) with some new loads using smokeless and a 240gn SWC and it shows promise too.

Targets aren't great but they're a start and to keep big medicine happy i mean, coz I know big medicine's son would like some more stamps for his collection ;D

This one started out so well.... but I don't know what happened coz when I finished I counted 6.... arghhhhhhh

You think your'e on a WINNER with 4 nice shots, then shot five decided to go for a wander on it's own :'(

Oh well, range will be open again in 2 weeks time so I'll be able to try again,
and hopefully have the thudy thudy by then to try for the 100m scoped event.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those are the best targets I have seen to date :) hotshot is getting fired up!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts