Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
I have one of each, in an MXLR and love them both.
I wouldn't sell neither.
But to answer your question,
Every year we hear they're coming back,and every
year it never happens.
My take is it will never happen.
But I also believe they would sell.
Every one Marlin ever made sold.
That's not hyperbole, that is a fact.

·
Super Moderator
5,412 Posts
Don’t think it’ll be reintroduced anytime soon or even at all. I was like you and decided to wait and see how they would sell. Before I knew it they they were discontinued and I moved away from lever actions. With my renewed interest in lever guns, a 308MX was on my short list to get. I just picked mine up yesterday and couldn’t be happier. My advice is, if you find a 338ME for sale, don’t think about it, just buy it.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Unfortunately, majority of the middle bore cartridges have been ignored by hunters in North America. The .356 and 375 Winchester had short lives, too. 338 Federal and 338-06 are on life support. I think Winchester developed a short magnum featuring an 8mm bullet but it failed in the marketplace, too. Unfair but true.

Yet the old 35 Remington still gets used a lot but not much press these days. It has always been a good choice for game a little tougher than deer sized animals. That 200 grain bullet hits hard within reasonable shooting distances! However, 35 Remington ammo is over-priced in my opinion.

TR

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
I have one of each, in an MXLR and love them both.
I wouldn't sell neither.
But to answer your question,
Every year we hear they're coming back,and every
year it never happens.
My take is it will never happen.
But I also believe they would sell.
Every one Marlin ever made sold.
That's not hyperbole, that is a fact.
I totally agree here. Some Remlin 308MX/308MXLRs were made out of existing CT parts coupled with some NY made parts. I haven't seen a new Remlin 308 ME in probably five years or so. I have never seen a Remlin 338MX/338MXLR but a few do exist that were probably made from CT parts for tradeshows. I am lucky to have a JM 308MX and a JM 338MX and won't be selling either one. I don't see these rifles being made again until Remington gets its QA/QC act together again.

·
Super Moderator
5,412 Posts
After responding to this thread last night I decided to see if I could track a 338MX down. I ran across one that hit a dealers website on the June 19th. I emailed the dealer immediately and surprisingly got a response a few minutes later that the gun had already sold. It was priced at $595. Someone got a heck of a deal on that gun.

·
Super Moderator
11,158 Posts
I was lucky to get both a 308 and a 338. If anyone sells one it will be because they don't reload and cannot easily find ammo for it. Plus--the 338 does kick a bit but not any worse than a 45-70. I wish I could have picked up a stainless 338.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have all four. I like the .308 MX and MXLR, but I love the .338 MX and MXLR. Buy a .338 Marlin Express, if you like lever rifles. I don't think you would be dissapointed. I find plenty of factory ammo that I can order online, but I do live in a state where this is legal. I also reload and have enough brass, bullets, powder and primers to last a lifetime if they quit making ammo tomorrow.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have one of each , I thought it was mandatory.

I bought all 4 of the 308 and 338 when they came out. told dealer I wanted one of the 308 blue or stainless didnt care which. He called and said your 308 came in had one of each. Did the same with the 338 got both at same time. 338 stainless walked off Jr deceided he needed it . Have been looking for another one ever since cant find any. They would sell if marlin would make them

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can feel your pain, i too recently missed a 308mx on GB, for $475, buy it now price, saw it, went got my ducks in row, went back it had sold. Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If you want a 338ME, post an ad in the "Wanted" section of the classifieds.....
I often check these to see if someone needs one of my extras....

Reactions: 2bytandem

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
My wife would literally make me sleep in the doghouse...and we don’t even have a dog ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The 338MX is reasonable. The 338MXLR is pricey, but getting harder to find each season.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.