Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When making up some 45-70 dummy rounds for practice. What is the preferred way to fill the primer pocket, a used primer or something else? I have read about filling the primer pocket with hot glue.
What say you all?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I use silicon or sikaflex. Hot glue would probably work fine.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I guess all those methods will work. I have an A-Zoom snap cap in 45/70, and in a bunch of other calibers too.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I think it's a poor idea to use anything for a snap cap that even remotely resembles real ammunition.
Care to elaborate on why?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Care to elaborate on why?
His concern is most likely that it could easily be mixed up with a live round. A careful shooter would most likely not make that mistake. The dummy rounds we used for our cannons were all weighted black plastic.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
After making up your dummy cases, carefully drill a few 1/8" holes in the side of the case. This should help make them identifiable.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Mine have the bullets colored black with a permanent marker. My wife's have pink fingernail polish on the bullets. They are stored in separate boxes marked "dummy rounds" with the cartridge info.

Possessing firearms is dangerous if one is careless. Mixing up live and dummy rounds is an indicator of carelessness that should be addressed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts