Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I'm putting this in the right section or not, but here goes....
This note is just in case there might be any other fellows that are like me,and have the will-power of a ***** cat ! I read several post about fellows either quiting smoking or trying to quit, Sure a hell of a lot easier said than done !!
If you don't care for menthol this wont help you, back last year I started expermenting with adding dried peppermint leaves to tobacco, that didn't work too good, But then I picked up a bottle of pure peppermint oil, If its peppermint oil with anything else mixed in it wont work! I just open a pack put them in a row and use a medicine dropper and apply a strip to each one then repack them. It helps to keep the packs in a gallon ziplock bag also. It might be just me, but sure don't seem like smoking is bothering me as much as it was before I started adding the mint. You know mint is used in a lot different medicines, rub-ons, cough drops etc.
A few months back someone told me about a new store in town....called My tobacco, there you can buy a carton of filter tubes and 8 oz of tobacco for 15 bucks ! A table top cigarette stuffer is 45 dollars, works great. Takes about 1.5 hours to do a carton. Sure has cut down the cost of them.
Robert

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
962 Posts
The roll your own places are firing up all around. And yes a pouch of tobacco and a box of tubes at 15 dollars is a steal at 50 a carton.

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
BTT

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I was buying cigs online (overseas) for a while at about $16/carton. I didn't do it as much for the savings as for the fact that they weren't loaded with "firesafe" chemicals. I hated that firesafe crap. It's just made me smoke them 3 times as fast to keep them lit. Who comes up with this stuff? :mad:

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
If you're ready to quit.....watch the paper for one of the hypnotist programs.....I smoked for 51 years and it has been over a year now.....the savings went into Marlin lever guns....

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
I've been rollin my own for many years . . a 1 lb. bag of tobacco & 3 boxes of filtered tubes cost me less than $20 - Comes to about $6.00 a carton, as opposed to over $40 for Marlboro's

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
February 18th, 1975 IQ day. All my Marlins are paid for.

I enjoyed every smoke I ever lit, wanted to do it for myself and my family. The ex wife quit when we divorced 4 years later (she couldn't afford em anymore) my daughter took them up for 10yrs, my son took them up and still smokes. So I guess I quit for myself.

For me quitting the 6th time worked. ;D

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Bird Dog said:
People who've burned their house down.
So, 20 people per year burn their house down via disregarded cigarette (hypothetical number).....therefore ALL smokers from now on have to ingest even more chemicals whenever they light up?

Note: I realize any chemicals added per US law have been scrutinized to the fullest extent. However, almost daily we hear about things that were previously thought to be harmless now being proven harmful.

Besides....wouldn't this qualify as an "unfunded mandate"? Those are becoming quite the norm lately. People are still going to burn their houses down. Thing is, most of them won't be from a forgotten cigarette. They will be burned on purpose to get them out from under an upside down mortgage/payments they can't afford/etc. The way I see it, the federal govt saves the homes of 20 people and triggers the destruction of 2,000 houses. I don't know about you, but I don't need govt looking over my shoulder all the live long day. Do you also agree with helmet laws? Affirmative action? No prayer in schools?

Man, it feels good to go off on a good rant! Lol! ;D

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
When I smoked if you didn't drag on it the thing went out and had to be relit. Burning your house down has been blamed on a lot of cigarettes or "That's my story and I'm sticking to it" read The Burning Bed, she could have said it was a cigarette. Ever notice most of the folks that died in them cigarette fires were old, drunks or stoners, that PO'd somebody. I pretty much cast them fires in with all the accidental shootings of best friends and family during firearms hunting seasons. Just my opine, but then I have watched my ex wife from a distance while hunting. ;D

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Don't all that time rollin and squirtin peppermint interfere with yore luv life Robert?

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Here is a tip for the menthal applying, soak a toothpick in the stuff and just put it in between your smokes in the pack. They will take it on.

·
Super Moderator
15,825 Posts
For the roll your own folks, if you check it out the pipe tobacco in the big bags is basically the same as that 8 oz or 1 lb. bag, I was told the only difference is some pipe tobacco is in there, but it's a small amount and this allows the tobacco company to skirt the taxes you pay on that little bag...you get more and pay less. I used that stuff to help me get off store bought, that a some help from the boss upstairs, been smoke free since April 1, 2009 Cold Turkey!! Mr fixit

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I smoked for more than 40 years. I contracted COPD in June 2009, I put cigarettes down cold turkey and have not touched one since. I like being able to breath again AND I'm running four miles every other day at age 65.

Tom

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quitting is easy for me, its staying quit thats the problem. I quit for 2 years once then picked them up again, made it 6 months a few times. The last time I made it 11 months..I don`t know why I do this to myself, there not good for my health and even the roll your own is a luxury I can`t afford. Every time I tell myself "this is it never again" I should be hit with a 2x4..

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I quit in 2005. Now i only smoke OPs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I quit on 5-10-2010 and still crave the heck out of them. Beware of chantix!!! I attempted to use the drug and turned into a monster. So I just quit cold turkey and rewarded myself with a very nice AR build :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts