Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would you guys recommend for some reliability work on an 1894 Cowboy 44? The gun shoots great but seems to consistently have trouble getting rounds in the pipe without some finagling.

·
Banned
457 Posts
why not give it a go yourself with all of the video's and hundreds of years of experience that is here at MO's ?

can't be that hard, and you will feel good about yourself for more projects down the road.

Reactions: hutch and kraynky

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Who would you guys recommend for some reliability work on an 1894 Cowboy 44? The gun shoots great but seems to consistently have trouble getting rounds in the pipe without some finagling.
Seriously, ydennekb, get in the stickies on doing the gunsmithing yourself. It's not really all that hard, and the instructions are extremely thorough. You'll feel a whole lot better about being a true "Marlin man" if you do the work yourself. You'll know a lot more about the rifle and your abilities. Once you get a feel for how it works, you'll be much more able to diagnose a problem when it arises.

Reactions: half cocked

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I've done quite a bit of 'smithing myself including trigger jobs on 1911's but I'm reluctant to get into this one as it's not made anymore, it cost me a pretty penny, and I'm unsure as to replacement parts availability. I suspect that I need to take a burr off the chamber since that's where rounds are hanging up, but I have no clue how to get to it.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Well I've done quite a bit of 'smithing myself including trigger jobs on 1911's but I'm reluctant to get into this one as it's not made anymore, it cost me a pretty penny, and I'm unsure as to replacement parts availability. I suspect that I need to take a burr off the chamber since that's where rounds are hanging up, but I have no clue how to get to it.
If you've done trigger work on 1911's, you can work on a Marlin. It's really simple. Have some faith in your abilities. All you have to do is read and follow the instructions.............lots of pictures, and plenty of help.

Reactions: hutch

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Parts really aren't the problem......Brownells can help you out. It's probably that extractor spring problem that a lot of people encounter. Go to the gunsmithing stickies and read, they'll be great help.

Brownells is the beginners best friend when it comes to parts. They'll sell you stuff that OM won't......

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How funny, I've looked through the stickies and never found anything other than opening the mouth of the chamber till just a minute ago when I found the stickie you just recommended! I'm going to give this a try. Thanks guys!

·
Banned
457 Posts
Sweet....

·
Registered
567 Posts
First of all, I agree with Chris and others about trying to do it yourself.

BUT..... Considering you don't want to get into it yourself and prefer a smith to do the work, here is my suggestion:

Find a good Cowboy match to visit and ask some of those fellers WHO is the favored gunsmith they use.....particularly on the 1894 Marlin.

There is a good one down in Louisiana name Slick McClade but he is about a year backlogged on Marlin request.

BUT, the good news is that more than likely, there will be a good Cowboy smith close to you that you can learn about while visiting that Cowboy match.

Best regards,

p.s. - if you reconsider doing the work yourself, you can also visit the website of 'Marauderhomestead.com' and check out info on the Marlin.

..........Widder

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Widder,
Thanks for the tip! I fixed the extractor per that sight today but won't get to try it out till hopefully this weekend. But, looking through that site, it looks as though my carrier may be influencing this problem as well as it sits much higher when delivering a round to the chamber. I'll check Brownell's for a new style carrier.

·
Registered
567 Posts
ydennekb,

if you have a carrier that is rising too high during the feeding of your rounds, you 'might' be having a timing issue.

When you are bring your lever back up, the front of the carrier should only be rising to the bottom portion of your chamber entrance.

If its coming up high than that, 1 of 3 things is causeing it (or a combination of these):

1. the lever section inside the rifle where the plunger stud rides is tooo lengthy by a few .000 (easily fixed but unlikely the problem)

2. the position of the plunger stud in the carrier is wrong (new carrier required)

3. he front portion of the carrier has been bent upwards, probably to help fix the 'initial' timing problem during the downward stroking of the lever. This type 'bending' is often done to help correct a timing issue to solve the 'Marlin Jam' problems. (In your case, I would get a new carrier)

P.S. - DON'T throw away your old carrier. At the least, sell it. I'd give you a few bucks for it.

But atleast don't throw it away..

If ya got any questions, call me

865 / 984-4455

..........Widder

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Widder, I'm going to try shooting it this weekend and see if the extractor mod has cured this but if not I surely may take you up on the phone call. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts