Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
My son is an engineer. When he was working for another firm they used laptops in the field for long periods. The firm would buy the lower end generators instead of the Honda's or Yamaha's. The problem with the lower cost generators is they will give power spikes. And those spikes will fry up quality electronics in a heartbeat. If you do an internet search you will find that the Honda has the electronics to prevent these power surges and thus, save your electronic "stuff" that you have plugged in. Light bulbs are cheap......fridge's, laptops and the like....not so much.

FWIW

Reactions: Boris and truckjohn

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
My son is an engineer. When he was working for another firm they used laptops in the field for long periods. The firm would buy the lower end generators instead of the Honda's or Yamaha's. The problem with the lower cost generators is they will give power spikes. And those spikes will fry up quality electronics in a heartbeat. If you do an internet search you will find that the Honda has the electronics to prevent these power surges and thus, save your electronic "stuff" that you have plugged in. Light bulbs are cheap......fridge's, laptops and the like....not so much.

FWIW
If you own a basic generator, with little to no power conditioning, you can still protect your sensitive electronics with a high quality power strip (aka surge protector) that has surge protection and power signal conditioning. I use this type of power strip on all my electronics, all the time, whether on utility power or generator power.

Reactions: truckjohn

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an older thread but going into winter.....

In 2007 I bought a Proforce by Powermate from Northern Tool. Off brand but it does have a B&S engine. Two receptacles w/ 20A from each. 2500 running watts @120v and 3150 surge watts. It was $299 on sale and I couldn't pass it up. I used it a handful of times over the last number of years and it performs great for some lights, reefer, TV, etc. Three gallons of gas gives me about 10 hours of runtime at 50% load. I do run a power line conditioner off one receptacle if I run my PC off it. A few years ago we had an ice storm come through that shut power off for about 2-3 days. (Here in the DFW area ANY type of weather paralyzes the city.) I kept the essentials running during the outage. The whole area was affected. The second night of the outage my neighbor (noting my lights still on) came over and harrumphed "You SOB, you got a generator dontcha'!!" I replied "Why yes! YES I DO!!" It was glorious. :)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That's a good point - winter is around the corner.... The first big snowstorms have already hit.....

The absolute worst time to buy a generator is when you need one....
Because....
1. You don't care what it costs - so you pay a ton for a cheap unit...
2. You don't care what the capacity is - so you generally get a big noisy gas hog unit that has 5x more capacity than you need that costs you $50/day + to run it....

NOISE was very high on my list. The less expensive units are NOISY... Really noisy. Think having a lawn mower next to your ears for 12-hrs straight... The more expensive units are considerably quieter...

Size and weight was also high on my list.... My Honda 2200 is light enough where I can carry it around and keep it up on a shelf out of the way. Dad's 4500 weighs over 100 lbs and an 8000 weighs over 200 lbs....

·
Registered
351 Posts
HA, think I jinxed myself after posting in this thread last year. Had our big generator go down and traced it back to a wire on the commutator tab breaking loose. Took a good part of a day to troubleshoot and take the generator apart enough to solder the wire back on. Used it for 3 more days that time and another 5 days this summer. Thinking about going with a bigger natural gas unit that kicks on by it's self. Seems we have on average about 10 days a year without power and a bunch of partial days. Debating on air or liquid cooled. Liquid cooled is quite a bit more money but should last longer and run at half the RPMs so they're much quieter. Current air cooled diesel unit is just shy of 10 years old now.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
10 days a year - yeah.. That's probably where it would be a real consideration... If you have municipal gas service - it probably makes good sense.... If you are on a gas bottle out back - maybe diesel has the advantage as if your generator runs the tank out - you have no heat or hot water till the truck shows up...

I couldn't imagine dealing with California this year... YIKES!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just switched over to natural gas and part of the reason we're considering it. Waiting on the ground to freeze so they can come get the old tank without rutting up the yard or perhaps just move it over to the polebarn until we get a line run over there. On propane you need a decent sized tank to run a generator and your house in the winter when it's cold. Otherwise the tank cools too much and the vapor pressure drops enough that it won't run. Before NG was an option I was really looking at a MEP803A diesel generator or a similar commercial unit. To me, the main added bonus of the NG unit would be the easy auto start.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have harbor freight generators. Th oldest (8 years) is a 3600 watt. Never failed. Go cut the gas on. Choke. It'll crank the third pull guaranteed . Second is a 9000 Watt that I made a 30 ft. suicide cord that plugs my generator into my stove outlet(50 amps) that I back feed my house when the power goes out. It'll run everything but the heat pump.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Over the years we have amassed several generators (gas and diesel), small solar panels (for charging batteries mostly), Coleman stoves (different sizes) and different levels of stored food. We do rotate things. Been at this for years. This is just 'off the top of my head.

Forgot ... we are both HAM Radio Operators.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a Westinghouse 75000 and a power trans. switch .I power my house during power outages that happen a lot here in South Carolina I runs good and is easy to start

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have a Champion 5500 or something. It runs on propane and will run everything in the house.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts