Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a small show in Pa. today at a fire hall. Did not have a lot of money to spend this time so was looking more at small items and not so much at guns. There was a few nice older Marlin lever guns there. The one that caught my attention was a 44 Cowboy for $579. Very tempted but had to pass for now. No one was even picking it up so maybe at the next show he may still have it. 1895 45/70 guide gun ported for $500. I thought to myself "why all these deals when you are broke?" I did buy 2 scopes. One was a Tasco Titan 3-9x42 with the 30mm tube. Japanese made and like new condition. Heavy rugged built scope. Very clear optics. Had Tasco Austrailian made steel rings and bases for a 700 Rem. I have a use for that one. Got it for $35 OTD. Also found a 3/4" steel tube Weaver made for Sears that has Ted Williams name in gold on it and gold accents on the turret caps. This scope is in fantastic condition for something probably out of the sixties. $25 for that one. Any ideas on manufacture date of the little scope? I want to put it on one of my 39A's from the same time period if I can. Well that was my day at the show.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
You did good on the scopes. Can't understand the lack of interest in the lever guns... Both sound like reasonable deals.

My old stomping grounds, SW Pa. Where exactly, if I may ask?

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
Good finds. Some of those small shows are gold mines. Just got to be in the right place at the right time with some green(or plastic).

Reactions: COYOTE222

·
Registered
569 Posts
Always happens when you're broke, I feel your pain.

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
The key to going to gun shows is to have a stash of cash so you can pounce when a GREAT deal comes along. I think I would just get frustrated if I went to a show, saw a gun I KNOW I would like, and didn't have the $$$ to buy it. I would rather not go if I had to go without $$$$.

Mike T.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Like that Weaver, yeah man.

Gun shows here in Florida are mostly filled with G I Joe types both buying and selling. Military copy stuff is everywhere but sporting stuff is just not common. The shows are HUGE and packed. It would be nice to go to a smaller show with sporting people in attendance.

Reactions: windy and Mike Leck

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I have gotten some of my best deals at small gun shows here in Pa. I would have used the plastic card and suffered the consequences later if need be:vollkommenauf:. If push came to shove, you could always flip it and make a few bucks to make everyone in the household happy or at least let you move back in to the house:flute:

Jack

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have gotten some of my best deals at small gun shows here in Pa. I would have used the plastic card and suffered the consequences later if need be:vollkommenauf:. If push came to shove, you could always flip it and make a few bucks to make everyone in the household happy or at least let you move back in to the house:flute:

Jack
I could not use plastic as I don't have plastic and I only buy what I can pay for. This was just not the time for buying another gun when I have guns to sell. Was not a lot of cash left this week after paying taxes to our government to give to some one who don't want to work and 4 new tires for my truck. Also loaned my daughter $340 at the show to get a rifle she wanted to buy. She wanted that 221 fireball 700 Remington for my grandson more than I needed to bring home more guns.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I could not use plastic as I don't have plastic and I only buy what I can pay for. This was just not the time for buying another gun when I have guns to sell. Was not a lot of cash left this week after paying taxes to our government to give to some one who don't want to work and 4 new tires for my truck. Also loaned my daughter $340 at the show to get a rifle she wanted to buy. She wanted that 221 fireball 700 Remington for my grandson more than I needed to bring home more guns.
With that need, the other bargains can wait. Wait until you see how that .221 shoots. A buddy has one, it shoots bugholes.

Best to you and your family.

PS. I feel your pain. I will find out our tax damage tomorrow night.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.