Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start reloading cast lead in my 1894PG .44mag. I do not know the bore dia., but seems to be a good idea to get the best bullet fit/performance. So much seems to be written about protecting the crown of the muzzle, is there a risk of damage in driving a lead slug down the bore? Any hints re. best technique? Thanks, Steelhead59

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Welcome! I read in the Beartooth manual about this before I did my guns and he had some good advice. The main thing is get the right sized egg sinkers, a good oak dowel or aluminum or brass rod as near to the bore size as you can get, and drive it through with a large hammer. According to the book you can ruin the barrel by using too small of a hammer because tapping the slug can expand (obturate) the slug without actually moving the it thus sticking it tight and possibly expanding the barrel at that spot as well. The big hammer (5lbs is not too big) and moderate blows drives the slug through by inertia. Use WD-40 or Break Free to lube the barrel first. The size eggs range from #10 down to #5, a 44 should take a 1/2 oz #8. The way I did mine was to start the sinker at the muzzle and with a hammer tap it until you get it started well and then use a short piece of oak dowel to get it past the muzzle being careful not to hit the crown with the hammer Then use the long rod (oak or aluminum, not steel) and drive it down.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I never thought about the egg shaped sinkers. I always use the round ball made for a 44 cal round ball revolver. I have lot's of them laying around. Using a larger hammer is good, but I always use wood doweling only. I don't use steel or any other metal rod. Too much chance of ruining something for me. dont forget to clean the bore when you are done and get the oils or possible lead chunks out.
Larry

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
.451 or .454 round ball and a wooden dowel for me too when slugging a 44 cal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's hard to imagine the small hammer issue occuring, but who knows.
IT IS IMPORTANT to make sure you have LEAD sinkers.
I haven't been able to find lead egg sinkers lately.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I have used lubed cast bullets that I intend to be using in the rifle being slugged and tap through from chamber to muzzle with a wood dowel. As long as the bullet is a little over bore it should give correct bore diameter.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Jayhawkhuntclub said:
It's hard to imagine the small hammer issue occuring, but who knows.
IT IS IMPORTANT to make sure you have LEAD sinkers.
I haven't been able to find lead egg sinkers lately.
Perzacktly why I use a roundball for a black powder revolver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts