Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slugged my 1952 336 in 32 Special today. It measures .314 (lands) and .318 (grooves). Is this normal for this caliber?
Thinking of loading some cast bullets for target and plinking. Any suggestions on a good bullet or mold? And a good load.
I have these powders on hand but am not limited to them.
IMR 3031
IMR 4350
IMR 4831
WIN 296
WIN 540
Unique
Terry

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,303 Posts
It should be .321, but some come at .323.

Slugging the bore works, but you have to make darn sure you have smashed the slug good enough for it to get a tight fit. Making a casting of the first few inches or so of the rifling out of cerrosafe is a much better method. That measurement sounds pretty off. As far as powders, I have no experience with reloading for the 32 special, but do load for the 30-30. Seeing as how they are very similar, IMR4895, and IMR3031 are both great powders for this size case.

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
I have never slugged a barrel before but I know how to do just it by understanding the process. I do agree with what Tmanbuckhunter post. it's good sense to realize if you use .321" diameter bullets in you reloads wouldn't a .314 lands and .318" grove measurement ring a bell. You know that .321" bullet go down your bore so that should be your starting point. Now I'm going to cast for my Win.32 spl. soon. Okay I have Ranch Dog W32spl. mold Lee bullet sizing kit .323 ( 8mm) this is my starting point. I will slug the barrel before I start just to be on the safe side. People been using jacket 8 MM bullets in W32spl. for years. Not I. I think the worse that can happen is your bore is worn out and you might need a .324" bullet sizer.

T ;D NY

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
186 Tmanbuckhunter said:
It should be .321, but some come at .323.

Slugging the bore works, but you have to make darn sure you have smashed the slug good enough for it to get a tight fit. Making a casting of the first few inches or so of the rifling out of cerrosafe is a much better method. That measurement sounds pretty off. As far as powders, I have no experience with reloading for the 32 special, but do load for the 30-30. Seeing as how they are very similar, IMR4895, and IMR3031 are both great powders for this size case.
I've never used cerrosafe. How do you get it out of the barrel?

·
Super Moderator
13,303 Posts
Plumber said:
I've never used cerrosafe. How do you get it out of the barrel?
Once it solidifies it just taps out. It has a melting point of about 160 degrees. You just put a plug in your barrel, or run some REALLY thick patches in there so it can't seep through. It's best to have a laser thermometer and someone hold the rifle for you. Here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DByaASz_HNk

I did not make the video.

·
Super Moderator
6,352 Posts
Terry - I have to agree, sounds like your slug didn't get a tight fit. Best I have found is an egg shaped sinker. The oval shape takes a good fit and the soft lead works well. You will "probably" get best results with something between .321 and .324 - my old Winchester still likes the .321 and it's been shooting since 1927. Your Unique and 2400 will make good reduced loads. 3031 will make deer run and hide. 4895 and H335 work well also. H335 and 183gr cast took my last elk, a young cow, at near 150 yards. It's no slouch of a load. Vel is right at 2230fps. 7gr if Unique will clover leaf three rounds of the same bullet. 13gr started to spray them everywhere.

It's a fun trip hunting with cast bullets!

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Here is a target I shot with mine using cast and 2400

Attachments

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice group Swany. I like the year that gun was made. Hornady and I both started out that year.

UPS just delivered two boxes of Hornady Leverevolution. I'm on my way to the range.

I have access to pure lead, and have been casting muzzle loading bullets for 37 years.
I slugged the berrel three times, very carefully, and came up with the same dimention. (.318")
Using both of my dile calipers.
I dropped the gun off at the gunsmith shop last night and he came up with the same results.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,303 Posts
Hmm... well as long as you have had no problem shooting it the way it is with jacketed boolits, you shouldn't have any problem with cast.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I was going to contribute here. but after seeing Swany's target I realized I got nothing to say. :eek: ;D

·
Super Moderator
6,352 Posts
Well, Terry, can't argue with those results and count your blessings on a tight barrel! Congrats!

You will probably need a .320 sizer for best results, though .321 (normal 32Spl) will probably work. Your pressures may run a tad higher, but shouldn't skyrocket anything.

Keep us informed.

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
Are you sure you have a Winchester 32 special chambering. It's sounds like it's a 32 pistol bullet bore If it measures .314 (lands) and .318 (grooves). (32 H&R Magnum) I'm sorry I don't mean to question you but this is getting strange. Will you post a picture of the cartridge if you don't mind.

You said "It measures .314 (lands) and .318 (grooves)" Is your Marlin rifle a 1884 Chamber in the 32-20 or 32 H&R MAGNUM Please the caliber stamp on the barrel.

T :D NY
http://www.hornady.com/store/32-Cal-.312-100-gr-HP-XTP/

·
Super Moderator
6,352 Posts
Tony - that is way too large diameter for the 32-20, 32magH&R, and such. Terry simply has a tight barrel. He's lucky, from my perspective.

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
One more very important thing needs to be done.

Check the fired case neck to see the largest diameter it will accept using an oversized bullet or a plug gauge, or make a casting of the chamber in the case neck and throat area. This is as important, or rather more so, than slugging the barrel. Here we define the cast bullet size that will safely fit in the case, and to some degree the size that will allow best alignment in the case neck/chamber as the bullet leaves the case and enters the barrel.

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
Sweetwater said:
Tony - that is way too large diameter for the 32-20, 32magH&R, and such. Terry simply has a tight barrel. He's lucky, from my perspective.

Jeff
NRA Life
Jeff I guess so but a 314 (lands) and .318 (grooves) is more than tight when a .321" jacket bullet is going down the bore.

I have a Rem. 788 - 223 now I wouldn't use it as my go to deer rifle. But I read that a a bullet must have 1000 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards deer size game. A 70gr. bullet at 3000fps. will have 1000 foot pounds at 100 yards.

So I looked for a 70gr. .224" bullet designed for medium size game. I found Hornady makes a 70gr. .227" bullet designed for deer hunting in the 5.6 X 52-R (22 savage high power)

Hornady strongly points out the danger in using this .227" bullet in a .224" bore. But I'm set on trying it so brought a Lee .224" sizing kit. No I haven't try this load yet.

The point I'm making is that there is a 0.003" difference between the .224" bore and the HDY. 70gr..227' bullet and there is a 0.003" difference between Terry's 32spl. .318" bore and a .321" bullet. Should there be a pressure problem?

T :-\ NY

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fired brass shows no signs of excessive pressure. Case neck measures .344 OD, .320 ID.
This is a 1952 336SC so, I'm thinking it's been fired more than a few times.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know what the problem is, but "my pictures" is telling me the photo of my 336 is 301 KB. But when I try to post it I get (file too large).
OK this time it worked.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,303 Posts
Plumber said:
I don't know what the problem is, but "my pictures" is telling me the photo of my 336 is 301 KB. But when I try to post it I get (file too large).
OK this time it worked.
Wow, what a beautiful rifle!

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
186 Tmanbuckhunter said:
Wow, what a beautiful rifle!
That's just what I said, when I opened the box. The guy that sold it on GB didn't have the best pictures. I think I got it for a great price!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts