Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is a pick of the ball. All I can say is I think it was WAY too easy to get this .457 ball into the bore and I could basically push it down the barrel with arm strength. So what is to learn from this? Looking to find out what type mold to buy for it.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,658 Posts
You are going to have to measure the band imprint left on the ball you used to slug the barrel at its largest diameter. Marlin barrels' groove diameters tend to run a bit over SAAMI specs which is .452 if I recall correctly.

AC

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The RCBS 45-270-SAA is a semi wad cutter on the heavy side, and with 9-9.5 grains of unique it will simply slam and terminally B-slap a pig at nominal pistol ranges.
I've not chronographed the load, but I'd think it was in the 800-900 fps range.
Mine are cast at about 12 BHN, and I've not noticed any performance difference when they're heat treated to 22-26 bhn.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
To my surprise the bore is dead on at .450
Not to be picky, but that would be your groove diameter. The bore should be around .442 inch and a groove of .452 inch. The inside diameter of a sized 45 colt brass is only .480 inch, so even a fired case probable wouldn't be large enough to make a slug that would fill the grooves. I would suspect the slug was close to .450 inch to start with. What was the measurement of the slug before pushing it through the barrel?

·
Super Moderator
12,695 Posts
The RCBS 45-270-SAA is a semi wad cutter on the heavy side, and with 9-9.5 grains of unique it will simply slam and terminally B-slap a pig at nominal pistol ranges.
I've not chronographed the load, but I'd think it was in the 800-900 fps range.
Mine are cast at about 12 BHN, and I've not noticed any performance difference when they're heat treated to 22-26 bhn.
If you are shooting this in a rifle that load is probably a lot faster than you think. My 8.0 grain Unique load with that bullet averages around 1100 fps out of a 24" Cowboy and a little less out of a 16" Carbine Classic single shot.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
My 8.0 grain Unique load with that bullet averages around 1100 fps out of a 24" Cowboy and a little less out of a 16" Carbine Classic single shot.
Pretty much echos my results. With 8.2 grains Unique behind the 270 grain bullet I'm getting 1095 fps average in a 20 inch 1894 Colt Cowboy Limited. Out of the 5.5 inch New Vaquero and the same load, it is almost exactly 900 fps. Need to test the Vaquero again to make sure.

I would think 9-9.5 grains and that bullet in a revolver has to be a little north of 1000 fps and most likely over 1200 fps in a rifle. Just a guess though...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.