Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is amazing to me the accuracy increase I get using pistol powders/cowboy loads for my 45-70.

So now I have excellent accuracy but at only ~ 1,100 fps (which is great, I'm not complaining :) ), but how do I get my velocity back up and my tradjectory a bit flatter while maintaining accuracy for hunting use? In other words, how do you get to the sweet spot if I'm almost maxed out on the pistol powder load?

Should I start below the starting load of approx 50 gr of a typical rifle powder, at say 46 grains? Only reason I ask, the info on the GMDR sight descibes the poor results they had when just reducing loads using rifle powders.

Or maybe the question is; do the slower more accurate silhouette target loads retain enough energy for deer/antelope hunting?

What do you think?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
Those slow pills sure took a lot of buffalo back in the day........:hmmmm:. but good question as I just loaded a bunch of reduced loads with blue dot. I have not had a chance to test at the range but am encouraged by yours being very accurate.:flute:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
What pistol powder are you useing? and why not get a rifle powder like H322 or IMR-3031 as both are very accurate in my rifle

Doc

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Nothing that flies, runs or swims with blood in it can move 1100 fps.

Now to retain accuracy and up the speed (I would stay below 1300fps) switch to a slower burning pistol powder.

I shoot a lot of Unique in my guns but my most accurate load in my .32 comes when I use Alliant 2400 mag pistol powder.

Now try this 300 gn jacketed hollow points, and 33 gns of Reloader 7 this is a mild load using a faster burning rifle powder but in most cases very accurate for hunting.

Make sure it is not Accurate Arms 7 that will blow up your rifle.

Bottom line a 300-400 gn cast loping along at 1100-1300 fps will go through most any deer and up to elk in the US.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Chris,

I am one who feels it is very poor policy to have multiple loads and bullets for a given hunting rifle.

Therefore, I pick what I would consider to be an optimum bullet weight for a 45/70 which for me will be a Wide Flat Nose (WFN) cast of over 400gr.

Then I will find a good load for that bullet, and as I soon found out when beginning my journey with the 45/70, "good load and high velocity" very likely may not come in the same package.

My one and go to load for my 45/70 is a 465gr WFN cast at 1650fps. This is awesome on deer and elk and not abusive to my old body.

In fact MUCH less abusive then my original load with a much lighter 355gr WFN at 2300 - 2500fps, as well as being much less devastating on good game meat that should have gone into the freezer.

I am NOT using pistol powders, and there are a bunch of very good powders usable for these moderate velocities, 3031, H332, H335, H or IMR 4198, RL#7 as well as others.

My H335 load behind the 465gr bullet is 47.5gr for a velocity of about 1650fps.

Tested a bunch of powders, those listed and more and the best consistency and groups in my rifle was with the H335.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Super Moderator
12,042 Posts
With my 44 mag I lowered the velocity and vastly improved the grouping.
I'm with Swany on the 2400 - good stuff. It sorta picks up where Unique quits.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. Awesome responses. Thanks.

Doc, the eye opener was Unique. If I told you how it shot you wouldn't believe me. MANY black powder loads and a few smokeless loads of mine don't even come close.
Guvna, you'll see soon enough. Post what happens when you shoot them. It's night and day.
Swany and Bubba, I hear ya. 2400 is on my list.
Deary, 3031 is on my list too and I have some 4198 to try.

If groups just go back to inconsistent, I'm going to just stick with a Unique or a 2400, dial in the sight settings at different distances, and enjoy. I think slow might be the way to go with microgroove barrels.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
I post this link to Gregs sight very often for light cast loads with faster burning powders. Most often all you have to type in your search is gmdr and it will give you a link.

Lever Gun Performance Studies

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I post this link to Gregs sight very often for light cast loads with faster burning powders. Most often all you have to type in your search is gmdr and it will give you a link.

Lever Gun Performance Studies
I was going to post the same link...

It has opened my eyes to a whole new world of loading for my guns...

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
In these hard times when powder is short on the shelf Gregs studies sure do help folks wanting to shoot.

I've just learned about using .380 with 158gn bullets seated in them as useful for bullets in a .375, don't know much about it but it sounds interesting.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Wow. Awesome responses. Thanks.

If groups just go back to inconsistent, I'm going to just stick with a Unique or a 2400, dial in the sight settings at different distances, and enjoy. I think slow might be the way to go with microgroove barrels.
OK, what does microgroove barrels have to do anything?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts