Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a simple recipe that I have been doing for awhile. Take a de-boned hindquarter and clean off all the silver skin and fat. On the inside where the bone was, slice into each muscle about 1" deep. Salt, pepper, and sprinkle any spicey cajun seasoning all over. Place some smoked pork link sausage (about three links) inside and roll the hindquarter together around the sausage. We use Conecuh sausage here in south Mississippi. Tie the rolled up HQ with cotton string, and inject with Dale's or Moore's marinade. Cover HQ with a couple lbs of sliced smoked bacon. The day before I am gonna smoke, I split up some pecan wood or hickory. Pecan is better. I take the bark off and soak the wood in about 3 gallons of water overnight. The next morning, I'll start the charcoal in my Brinkman's water smoker and pour the water off the wood into the waterpan in the smoker. Place the bacon-wrapped HQ on the smoker, cover, and smoke for about 4 to 5 hours. Take meat off smoker when done and let stand for about 10 minutes. Slice and ENJOY!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add to use the pre-soaked pecan wood on top of the charcoal. Throw a few pieces in every hour or so for maximum flavor.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi

here's a recipe I found awhile back:

Grilled Venison Delight
2 pc.boneless loin(backstraps) about 10 inches each
2 cloves of garlic
Fresh black pepper
Salt
1cup burgundy wine
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small bunch italian style parsley (not curly parsley)
3-4 pc.fresh basil
Put wine and olive oil in a bowl or casserole dish, cut garlic and scallions into 1/4 " slices. Add to wine and oil mix. Coarsely chop parsley and add to mix: the parsley, salt, fresh pepper and whole basil leaves .Place backstraps in marinade( make sure they are completely submerged) and refrigerate for at least 12 hours......... Cooking: Either grill on BBQ or broil in oven. Use very high heat. Well done on the outside and medium rare on the inside is perfect. Please don't kill your deer twice. Once in the field is enough. Enjoy dinner

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello redbaroness, sounds deelicious! But when do I add the bacon fat and cajun seasonings to your recipe? :lol: :lol: Just kidding of course. Does anyone have a recipe for potato pancakes? My Granny used to make 'em years ago. !hasta!

·
Registered
485 Posts
tater cakes- 1 cup leftover mashed tatters 1/3 cup flour 1 egg chopped onion & a dash of milk salt&pepper fried til lite brown in real butter dang now i'm wanting some anybody want ta peel the tatters ? :lol: mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts