Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually I decide whether to bring the gun to my shoulder slowly or snap it up by instinct. But looking back I can seen that I follow some rules to this. If the deer is running, easy, snap the gun up. In almost every other instance I bring the gun up slowly so as not to be seen. I can think of at least three deer that I know had spotted me, but I was able to get the gun up slowly enough to get the deer in the freezer. If the deer hasn’t yet spotted me, I also go slowly, to avoid detection.

I ask because I am second guessing myself after today. I spotted a deer at about +75 yards. In the tangles I hunt in, this is the longest distance I have spotted a deer. The deer was looking right at me, so I brought the gun up slowly. Just as the front post was getting on the deer, it took a jump and was gone.

So, my question is, does anyone have rules for when to snap the gun to the shoulder and when to take it slow.

Oh, and the deer was not a trophy, so I’m not beating myself up over this.

·
Premium Member
11,974 Posts
I think you've already got your answer. Your own experience tells the truth.

When you must - snap that rifle up.

If there's time to move slowly, so as not to attract attention, do so. Now and again you're going to get caught. It happens. Doggone deer are pretty alert for movement nearby.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If the animal is looking at you----FREEZE-DON"T MOVE ! Only move when it is looking away from you or it has already decided to take off !

Remember if you do something quickly and miss-----YOU DID NOTHING QUICKLY !

Hip

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now and again you're going to get caught. It happens.
And it's easier to handle getting caught on opening day. With just four days left to get into the woods, it takes a little more effort to swallow that pill. But it's now swallowed and I'm ready to see how the deer manage to make a fool of me next.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts