Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got to shoot my "new" 1895 Cowboy at a friend's range today. All I had available were 405gr Soft Point Remington factory loads, so nothing bruising.

I took some video and we also retrieved the bullets from the rubber granule backstop:

Slo-mo: sound is fantastic on the original (the action sounds like a bank vault door and the tinkling brass is crystal clear) but rubbish on YouTube:

The bullets:

I also had an amateurish go with a Thompson Contender in .460S&W Magnum:

The only .460 projectile we recovered is on the far left - just the jacket:

My Cowboy performed well and was a joy to cycle and shoot. No buyer's remorse yet!

Looking forward to trying it with a scope and homeloads.

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
Great videos! Thanks for sharing! :tee: :congrats: :congrats:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Nice pics and video. Thanks for sharing!

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
nice!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
A nice Marlin levergun and a nice friend with a range! Life doesn't get any better! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, color me green with envy!

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Nice videos and pics. It's great when you have a friend that has an indoor range you can go shoot at.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Nice vid...hop you had a rug down so the cartridges didn't get all banged up on the cemet floor though bud.

I am amazed at the shape of the bullets though...they would do some heavy damage.

Jer

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heh heh! No- though I've got some veg-tanned leather to make a boot for the stock to lengthen the pull and get a better fit.
Well I made the stock extension yesterday evening and stained it today. Will upload some pics.

Length of pull is better for my size and I put some extra leather at the top of the comb to raise cheek for scope (not so much that irons can't be used. The extra inch of spacer will help soak up some recoil if I shoot stout loads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts