Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep. I did it. I added a sling to my 1895CB. Perhaps its a break from tradition but I needed to do it since I use mine for hunting.

I used Uncle Mikes studs, followed the directions and they worked perfectly.

The hard part was the drill. You need to drill a hole in the Walnut stock and I was having a hard time with the what ifs! :shock:

Not to worry. I drilled the counter sunk hole first then the hole for the screw using the correct size drill bits. The stud screwed in just fine, nice and tight. The walnut Marlin uses is very hard wood :!:

The front was easy, clamping onto the magazine.

I can now carry my gun using the sling. 8)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks, DeadEye

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
If the magtube mount bugs you(it always did me) you can get a forend cap with a swivel stud from Marlin or Brownells.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Leverdude said:
If the magtube mount bugs you(it always did me) you can get a forend cap with a swivel stud from Marlin or Brownells.
Yeppers, I got mine from Marlin and they look factory. :D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I've seen the mount kits from Uncle Mike's but I am not that good with a drill. Anyone got an idea what a gunsmith would charge to put a set on?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
ggeilman said:
I've seen the mount kits from Uncle Mike's but I am not that good with a drill. Anyone got an idea what a gunsmith would charge to put a set on?
They shouldn't charge much. But it really isn't hard to do. Take your time and use a center punch to make a small indent about 3 inches from the tip of the buttstock or about 1.5 inches below the bulls eye. What ever you do DON'T put it in the bulls eye. Use a small drill bit to drill a pilot hole and step up in bit size to the correct size as per the instructions and that is it. You need to make sure you have gun secured (in a gun vise) so it is steady.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
What kind of forend cap can you get from Marlins or Brownells? Does anyone have a partnumber I can reference?

fknipfer

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
fknipfer said:
What kind of forend cap can you get from Marlins or Brownells? Does anyone have a partnumber I can reference?

fknipfer
Just call Marlin and tell them what you need. I have never had a part number when I deal with Marlin and always get the right part.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Another way to carry with a sling is to use a looped sling..One that has a loop on either end to slip over the barrel and the other to slip over the stock.I'm never with out one for the guns I respect "age wise".modoc

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I'm not sure if I am imparting knowledge on this post or adding a question of sorts.

In my experience, the nylon and sometimes leather slings which seem to be everywhere, keep slipping off my shoulder. I seem to have a lot better luck with what I think is a Cobra style sling. It has a texture like rough leather or suade on the underside.

Uncle Mikes and others, make one with a padded cloth shoulder strap too.

Whatever the terms and materials, make sure you spend some time with a sling, before you get out and about. After a bad sling experience, a good one will be really appreciated.
Regards
Bestboss

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Levergun can make you a custom one if you like.. just ask him.. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts