Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I brought a very lightly use 1957 336 in 35 Remington and it does not have a sling or swivels I'm not a fan of the tube clamp would like to get one for the rear barrel strap but the new one will not fit my old beauty. I got a set of these from Midway
993417.jpg

but I think they will cheapen the look of the gun (well at least the front one ) and lessen the value of the gun. So since I would be drilling the stock anyway I thought these would give it a little more of a custom gun look.
625257.jpg .

What are you guys using for slings and swivels on your 336. Post your pics.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I totally disagree with you on this one. First off let say that I'm not a fan of slings, but my 70 model 35 came with one already installed. Thank goodness the rear mount was put in the proper place and not in the bullseye. The front mount is the one that fits around the tube. I had a problem getting one of these off another 336 that was stuck on it pretty good but was able to get it off. I was so afraid that there was going to be some sort of a mark on the tube but there wasn't. I've seen a couple instances where the one on the barrel band had broke and you don't want that. I think the one that goes around the tube would be the stoutest. Last thing I would do is screw anything into the forearm piece.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I hunt with my vintage guns, but will not drill the stocks for studs. Put the quick release of the stud around a lace of a butt cuff, the other end of the sling has a quick release swivel that attaches to a barrel band. There maybe better ways, but that is what is going on now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hunt with my vintage guns, but will not drill the stocks for studs. Put the quick release of the stud around a lace of a butt cuff, the other end of the sling has a quick release swivel that attaches to a barrel band. There maybe better ways, but that is what is going on now.
The but stock is already drilled some one said there suppose to be a bullseye thing but it just a hole.

The replacement barrel band with included swivel is nice. Keep the old one for originality.
I called marlin and was told the new bands will not work on the older models. I like the idea of the of the detachable ones as the socket sit flush with the stock so when the sling is off it still has clean lines just not sure if the fore end is thick enough. I would rather go with a factory set up but that maybe out of the question.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My parents gave me my 336 when I was 11 years old and the day after Christmas, my dad drilled the butt and installed a stud in it and used the clamp style band stud on the magazine tube. That was in 1976.

In 1994, I was out hunting with the rifle and came to a piece of trail where I literally had to hop from one boulder to another and another and another and so on to get where I wanted to go. When I hopped off the last of these boulders, my 336 that was slung over my shoulder divorced itself from its magazine tube, hitting the ground butt-first, and shattering the hard rubber butt plate in to four big chunks.....

The butt stud is still the one my dad put in back in '76 (in the correct location, I might add, and not in the 'bull's eye") .

In putting my rifle back together, I had my gunsmith bob the magazine tube to half-length and attach it in the manner of the MX / XLR series, but there's not enough of it sticking out past the forearm to mount a swivel stud clamp thing to.

But, we retained the rear carbine band. My gunsmith drilled a hole dead-center in the bottom of the band to attach a stud as on new 336's It's worked great for going on five years now. I think this is much better and neater looking that the Hoedad clamps.

But if you really like the clamp style, I have some sets of U.S.A. made Uncle Mike's number 1391-2 (QD 115 CFL).

I would just have your local gunsmith do what mine did and drill the carbine band and install a stud to it.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Hey Tele-Caster do you by chance just have the screw that tightens the swivel band around the tube. Not a big deal as I'm not sure when I'll reinstall the band but the screw in mine was broke when I removed it. I've tried to buy just that band but haven't been able to find just it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've heard of putting the butt stock swivel in the bulls eye,then if you want to remove it put in a new bulls eye to cover the hole in the butt stock.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I have the clamp styled studs on 5 Marlins. Couple of pointers if you install them. First put some black tape on the inside of the clamps so that they tighten down properly. The tape does not show if you trim it. Other wise they want to wander up and down the magazine but I never had one come off. I tried the installation in the bullseye and the hole was too large to take the stud screw and as stated it is generally not located correctly anyway. As to keeping the older Marlin in "original" condition, mine came with a Redfield receiver sight that is worth about as much as the rifle. Purists scream about some of these modifications, but I got my waffle top in excellent condition for less than $300. Were I to need to buy another classic Marlin like I did my 35 Remington I could care less about whether it had a sling system installed as I would put one on anyway. Would like to find a compass for it though. these older guns are made to be used not stored and admired.

DEP

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I too prefer the mag tube clamp, they make more than one size, you need to measure the tube and get the right one, they also have the one piece type and the two piece type, I prefer the one piece as it cant come of the tube!
Drilling a hole in the forend should be (if not more so!) WRONG than drilling the bullseye for a swivel.

·
Registered
735 Posts
35Remshooter did you make that beautiful sling or is it a commercial product. I'd like to have one or 5.

Reactions: Brocky

·
Registered
363 Posts
I only have three complete, American-made Uncle Mike's mag tube clamp swivel sets left and I'm not anxious to "part out" the sets. I'd rather keep the sets intact in case someone is looking for such a genuine, "old school", U.S.A -made accessory.....

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
That makes sense to me. That's why I was asking if you had a loose screw, that's all. Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
I too prefer the mag tube clamp,
Not me, but I no longer have enough magazine tube sticking out past the fore-end to use the wretched things. I much prefer the later factory arrangement for sling studs on 336c style rifles, wherein the rear stud obviously goes in to the butt stock and the front one is incorporated in to the rearward carbine band. That's the arrangement I'm using now.

they make more than one size, you need to measure the tube and get the right one,
The "right one" in the two-piece clamp style used to be Uncle Mike's #1391-2 QD 115 CL for Marlin 336 and Winchester 94 or guns with barrel or magazine tube diameters of .530"-.575." I wrote "used to be" because the current product is now made in China and doesn't seem to work as well. The screws are of lower quality, seeming prone to breakage, and the clamp halves don't seem to have the same "springy" nature to them that the U.S. made ones had and they have to have that in order to work as designed.

they also have the one piece type and the two piece type, I prefer the one piece as it cant come of the tube!
The only one-piece type bands I've seen were either those used on the barrels of Interarms Whitworth Mausers equipped with "express style" folding leaf sights, which used a case-colored, spring-steel, one piece strap and clamped on the barrel, or the kind that have to be hand-fitted and silver-soldered to the tube. And yeah, if done properly, that latter style ain't going anywhere.

But the U.S.A.-made Uncle Mike's two-piece style on my Marlin didn't go anywhere, either. It was still attached to the magazine tube, right where my dad put it back in 1976, when said tube divorced itself from the receiver while on a hunt in 1994. I think that those things, when properly installed, are pretty solid.

Drilling a hole in the forend should be (if not more so!) WRONG than drilling the bullseye for a swivel.
If I could get those kind of swivels that are inset in to the wood and do not protrude from it, then I'd be adopting the words of Sarah Palin, proclaiming "Drill, Baby, Drill" and I'd have them on my Marlin if they could be made to fit. Very elegant solution, to my mind, because nothing hangs down below the wood with them, as the hardware used is "female" instead of "male" if you get my drift. I had these on my old Griffin and Howe Springfield that I used to have, and my great uncle John had them on his custom-stocked (by the same guy who did some of Jack O'Conner's stock work) Model 70.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
They also make a front swivel stud that has a 10-32 inch thread designed to screw into the front muzzle plug on half mags. If the plug sticks out taht will work, you just replace the plug screw.

DEP

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It appear the bullseye has fallen out of my butt stock I thought that this was where the rear swivel goes but from what I've been reading it is not. What do you guys mean by putting the swivel in the right spot if the Bullseye is not the right spot.

And if the bullseye is not where the swivel go what is it there for anyway?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts